Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the proud new owner of a thoroughly used '73 Spider, I've taken it upon myself to make a few 'updates'. I've had the car for a few months now, and love the thing.

Among other things, I've replaced the shifter boot, which was torn to pieces, and ordered the metal heat/defrost lever cover to replace a broken plastic one (which I don't think is correct, not that I'm a stickler for that sort of thing). However, the knobs on the ends of the two control levers obviously don't fit through the metal slits. Are they glued on, or is there a trick I'm missing?

Do I need to break them off and then fit new ones?

Thanks for the help.

Pics when she's not so greasy! (although she's more to drive than she is to look at)

·
Premium Member
938 Posts
As I recall, these plastic knobs have small moulded protrusions on their interior walls, which lock into holes in the metal heater control blades. It should be possible to gently pry the side walls of the old knobs apart, say with small flat blade screwdrivers, to disengage the protrusions from these holes...but they will probably be old and brittle, and will most likely snap. If you can get your hands on new parts, I'd buy them - last I checked, they were not too expensive.
Hope the above explanation makes sense.

·
Administrator
17,510 Posts
IIRC, on our '84 Spider one pushes a small button out of a hole in the metal lever to release the knob which then slides off. Look just below the knob itself for the piece I'm trying to describe. (but your '73 may be different so if someone else replies with more/better info then disregard mine...)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Success!

The plastic took just a wee bit of prying to free it from the metal protrusion.
I'll take some pics and post them up tonight, in case anyone has the same question in the future.

Thanks, guys. You sure are quick!

Dan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts