Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Alfa lovers and forum friends. Due to an unforeseen change in my personal circumstances, I have decided to sell my beautiful and much loved 1983 GTV6. With this post, I am hoping to get some opinions as to a fair asking price. Even better would be a buyer from this forum, as I want my car to go to someone who loves and appreciates Alfas the way I do. I could conceivably deliver the car personally as I am retired and have nothing but time. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

In the little over 2 years (and 10,000 miles) I have owned and driven the car, I have had done, mostly at Alfa of Tacoma, the following:

*New cambelt, water pump and mechanical belt tensioner and fuel filter
*2 new front exhaust resonators
*new front wheel bearings and a 4 wheel alignment
*valve adjustment
*new front brake rotors and pads
*new rear brake rotors and pads, and one new rear caliper
*new genuine Alfa rear muffler ( I will also include an aftermarket sport *exhaust)
*4 new Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus (195s) tires with 60,000 mile warranty
*new turn signal and headlight switch
*new rear giubo

I am probably forgetting some things, but the car runs beautifully. It currently has just over 98,000 miles on the 6 digit odometer. The car is all original, has never been modified and has what I believe to be the original paint. It does not have a speck of rust anywhere and the 2nd gear synchro is excellent.

The interior is very nice with excellent carpets, door cards and head lliner. The dash top has one very small split where it abuts the dashboard but is otherwise perfect. The front seats have been restitched (mostly on the drivers side) by me but the leather itself is not torn.

Any ideas as to a fair asking price? Anyone on this forum interested? I included pictures of the car in my very first post and can e-mail others if requested.Thanks.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Sorry to hear of your circumstances.
A very nice GTV6 with low miles just sold for $13k I believe.
Pictures here would really help.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Window motors good? AC cold? Depending how fast you want to sell it.... $7,500 to $9,500. They are on the upswing so it's hard to say. It is getting to that time of year where one lives makes a world of difference on what one can sell or buy.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Gorgeous!

Rust-free and seems to be almost perfect. I think this is an $10-11K car all the way in light of some recent sales; more if the driver's seat were in better condition. I prefer this to the $13K one for example. That was an '86 but this has a better dash and looks better overall IMO (apart from that seat). I love the interior. I just told a couple board members earlier this week that this is the very interior I plan to put in an '81. Exactly. I even showed the Octop*ssy scene with the gray GTV6 to my young boy earlier; I must have anticipated your car somehow. BTW, do you know what Alfa calls the saddle/brown seats and panels color by any chance?

Anyway, if I wasn't neck deep in GTV6s already I'd jump on this. Rust-free, nice paint, nice interior, well-maintained and running well. You won't be able to find that under $10K for long, if you can still even now. If you're not in a hurry you should get a nice price for this if it's as nice as it appears.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Both of the electric windows work great, as do the rear hand cranked ones. The seat belt buzzer does not work but the hand throttle does. The air conditioner compressor spins freely and the clutch on it works fine. When I run the air conditioner one of the hoses from the compressor gets cold but no cold air makes it into the cabin. I was told by a shop that I needed a recharge, but an adaptor is apparently necessary. The shop said they would try to find an adaptor but they never got back to me. I have made no further attempts to get the air conditioner working.

By the way, the car has never leaked a drop of oil on my garage floor in 2 years.

Steve

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
The market is all over the place in my opinion. I feel the $13,000 car sold was a fluke, some guy just had to have it and the other guy got lucky. I've seen other 84/85's with the upgraded interior and low miles, no rust etc not sell at $9,000. Eventually they were sold at much less. You just never know. There's always the buyer/collector who wants a certain color/year/interior combo and if you find that person you can hold out for big money. I had a 100% rust free, under 100,000 mile 84 with perfect engine, brand new syncros, super cold AC and interior that was an 8/10. I sold it to a gentleman who exported it to Greece. I don't know if it would get $10,000 today. I'd like to think so, but realistically I'd expect to sit on it for six months to a year for that money.

Attachments

·
Registered
464 Posts
Might be an East Coast/West Coast thing. I was looking for the right GTV6 for two years. I never saw a nice rust-free car offered for under $9K, and those at that price point had some mechanical flaws. Rust-free cars in sound mechanical condition have been asking from $10K up to the $13K one mentioned (which is now being offered by the buyer for $15K+). Several east Coast examples lately being offered for over $11K. Don't know if they are selling at that, but eventually they are selling.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Try gauging interest on BringaTrailer, Hooniverse, Petrolicious, Jalopnik Oppositelock forum, etc. Places that aren't typically auction or classified sites. I think you'll find a lot of folks who are hardcore enthusiasts with a real appreciation of the GTV6 and maybe work a private sale without having to resort to eBay or heaven forbid Craigslist.

Oh, and *man hugs*.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I'd go Hemmings if you want the best knowledgeable buyers pool.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know that the car has a theoretical value and I could wait and do everything to get the highest price, but I would like to sell the car now. If a forum member is interested, I would make them one heck of a deal. Again, I would like the car to go to an Alfa lover and know that the car was appreciated. Please PM me if you are interested and make me an offer. Thank you,
Steve

·
Registered
974 Posts
It looks to be a really nice car! Glws

1 - 18 of 18 Posts