Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to take on the task of replacing my headliner in my 92 164l it recently starting sagging and now has a few lovely push pins holding it up. Does anyone know if there is a thread or instructions somewhere for this?

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
I just did this, you have to remove, the rear "opera" lights :D and the front pillar trims. Unscrew the 3? flat fasteners holding the rear of the headliner up, pop out rearview mirror carefully with a screwdriver, carefully remove the overhead console light to get to the 10mm nut under there. Remove sunvisors and grab handles. Bring P/S seat back rest all the way down. Now bring headliner down by unhooking it from the bent sheetmetal tabs that where previously hidden by the trim and work out the rear P/S door. Remove items from headliner and pull material off, clean old foam off by rubbing it off, spray headliner backer and the back of the new headliner material, follow the cans instructions (3M Super 90 or equiv). Join material to headliner board and trim excess flush. Reverse to install. Lots of fun! ;)
Charles

·
Premium Member
27,322 Posts
Now if a sun roof model and your replacement headliner material not a perfect match and you want sun roof to match you will need to remove sun roof and sun roof inner panel to recover it. I had to remove foam backing from headliner material to glue just fabric to panel so it would still open.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I am about to take on the task of replacing my headliner in my 92 164l it recently starting sagging and now has a few lovely push pins holding it up. Does anyone know if there is a thread or instructions somewhere for this?
Excellent answer from Charles there :) I didn't know that those large flat circular fasteners (at the back) unscrewed - that has to be better than trying to pry them off...

Whatever you do, don't try to re-glue existing headlining material - that does not work because it is the foam backing that has disintegrated. I had this on a friend's BMW 325i (1992) that was really bad, as the headlining was around the driver's head like a tent. We tried to glue it up - I should have known better, as I've fixed this before on a FIAT Croma.

The nice thing about the Croma was that, like the 164, there were trim pieces right around the edges, so the material didn't have to be stretched up the sides like in the BMW. Incidentally the trim quality of the BMW is definitely not as good as that in the Alfa and leaves a lot to be desired in materials and finish... quite surprising to me, as I always thought those German cars were the ultimate.

I noticed just this evening that my 164's headlining is starting to sag near the front sunvisors. Also, in several areas, the foam is compressed so the fabric is no longer smooth (dips and hollows) which is a sure sign that the backing foam is shot.

Most of the foam should scrape off with a blunt scraper dragged across the surface, leaving the original adhesive as a 'primer' for the new adhesive. This is less porous than the backing board alone, and generally you want to avoid separating the adhesive from the backing board, as that will leave noticeable ridges in the finished result. I don't think it's worth trying to use a solvent - that risks breaking down the backing board.

I have found a trim supplier that has a book of swatches to choose a colour match. I plan to cut off a small piece from an edge and take it with me, as there are so many shades of grey to choose from. The colour to watch out for is blue-ish grey vs. 'warm' grey. I suspect the 164's is nearer the warm end of the spectrum (brown-grey). The foam backing also comes in two thicknesses - I found the thinner of the two is sufficient.

The 3M spray headliner adhesive is perfect for the job and I reckon it is the only product to use. One can is quite sufficient. Before this, I used ADOS contact adhesive - but that is a mess worth avoiding!

Glue the headlining material on before you attempt to cut any holes - pretty obvious, but you can't be too careful - as it is quite stretchy. You only get one 'go' with the adhesive, so it's important to get the material straight. I started at the back edge.

-Alex

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well does not seem to difficult except the sunroof part. So let me get this right i have to take the whole sunroof out?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Steve, didn't you say not to use the backer board, just glue headliner material right to the roof ? Did I understand you correctly ?

·
Premium Member
27,322 Posts
Steve, didn't you say not to use the backer board, just glue headliner material right to the roof ? Did I understand you correctly ?
No you didn't, you glue new head liner material to main head liner backer board. What I also said is that for just sun roof slide panel I had to remove foam backing from headliner material and glue cloth directly to slide panel.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Here is a pic of the headliner with half of it rubbed clean of the old foam and half with it still there. I just rubbed it down with my fingers. Makes a mess. :rolleyes: Have some large strips of velcro on hand to hold the very center of the headliner board to the metal roof, my original velcro was shot and yours likely is too. Be very careful with your overhead console when removing it and replacing it, it will be old and fragile and it's NLA. :( Don't screw the sunvisors back to the roof too tightly either, the brackets are only plastic and they will crack the screw holes. The original material has a fairly thin foam backing, what I used was from Hancock Fabrics and it was thicker than original. It worked fine, but if you have a choice, pick the thinnest you can find. Several light greys seem to be available, one was lighter than original and one was darker than original, I picked the one a bit lighter and it looks good. Since I was installing a tan interior, I even thought about going with a tan headliner, which I think may have been a good choice in retrospect, but was not a factory color. Apparently only grey was used on all 164s, no matter the interior seat and trim color?
Charles

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts