Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No ac, so I've been running with the windows down. The wind blowing through has sucked the headliner into a sag. I've removed the foam between the material and the fiberboard backing and re-glued the material directly to the backing. This has eliminated much of the sag but now the backing won't remain stuck to the roof because the velcro attachment has lost its mooring. Pep Boys velcro doesn't work. Should I go to an auto upholsterer and see what's used and how? Or should I just figure out a way to use snaps or screws to secure it? Be mindful that this sag has been there for some time and is resistant to assuming its original position. Something strong is needed.

Thanks

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Velcro anchor

Thanks, ChazzyD. But it's not the material that's giving me trouble; it's the fiberboard backing. It's anchored to the cabin roof by a velcro attachment. The velcro tore away from the fiberboard and I tried to replace it with velcro from Pep Boys -- which didn't hold. So I'm thinking maybe there's something the upholstery shops use that's better. Or, because the fiberboard is resistant to letting go of its sag, maybe I need something that's not cosmetically perfect but is strong enough to pull the backing up and hold it in place -- like snaps or screws.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
more velcro

Oh yeah, I see in your headliner thread that you advise buying large strips of velcro. What's the best source for something industrial grade? What did you use to cement the velcro to the backing and how did you attach the other side of the velcro to the roof?

·
Premium Member
27,300 Posts
I get my headliner material, green can 3m strong spray adhesive and velcro at fabric store such as Jo-Ann or Hancocks.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Try a hardware store for heavy duty velcro. There are grades of the stuff such as used in commercial aircraft which are very difficult to pry apart.

·
Premium Member
27,300 Posts
What do you use to glue the velcro to the fiber backing and roof? Contact cement?
Green can 3M adhesive for both velcro and headliner material unless somebody else has a better idea.

·
Registered
176 Posts
That or construction adhesive, if it works outside on a house it should work on a car. (I have not tried this btw)

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
So mine is not the only one that had velcro holding up the center of the headliner board. It looked original on mine and I think they used a fairly heavy duty type and stapled it too. Not sure where to buy the heavy duty type. I'm not sure regular stuff would work well enough either. try here: 3M Dual Lock: Buy Dual Lock Fasteners by the yard, SJ3560, SJ3552, SJ4575, 3M Dual Lock Fastener velcro Seems they have a 3M Dual Lock with VHB adhesive (stands for Very High Bond). Dual lock is a 5 times stronger bond http://www.itapestore.com/3mduallockreclosablefastenerinformation-buyduallockhere.aspx
Charles

1 - 11 of 11 Posts