Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I burned out a headlight on the 79 spider- no big deal, right? Just like changing the headlight sealed beam in any car- 10 minutes, max. I was so wrong. First, it took visiting 4 auto parts stores, none of which had the correct light. I had to visit my mechanic (thankfully open on Saturday) to get the lights. Getting the old lights out was a real treat. I had to pull the wheels off to get at the screws since the headlight assembly comes out through the back, not the front like a "normal" car. The wheel lugs were so tight that I had to drive to a garage and find a mechanic to loosen them. Back home to get the assembly back out and change the sealed beams. Getting them back in correctly was a nightmare. The whole thing, that should have been 10 minutes took three hours with lots of cursing (in italian of course) and skinned knuckles. They are still not in correctly. Who designs these things?

·
Banned
129 Posts
Euro cars which had the lights mounted inside the fenders had different buckets and headlights than our US cars. The buckets had a removable back section, and the headlights themselves weren't sealed beams. You'd only have to unclip the back of the bucket, remove a rubber boot from the headlight, unclip the bulb, and the put it all back together in reverse. Mounting the sealed beam US buckets from inside really creates some issues, as you mentioned, but that's not the way Alfa designed it. Blame the lame, antiquated US DOT headlamp laws for that. Remember that US Spiders all originally had the buckets mounted from the front, and it was their owners who chose to remount them inside the fender, in order to use the plastic headlight covers.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
You should re-mount your headlights from the outside, as designed, and if this happens again it will be a 10 minute job. Also, re-torque your wheels as Alfa specified: 72.5 - 75 ft lbs, or at least do not go over 80 ft lbs. Many wheel and tire outfits routinely torque to 100 ft lbs.

Best regards,

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Enrique made the right call. I always check my lug torque as soon as I get home from the tire shop (their spec is 90 on everything). Tire pressure is always 36lbs no matter what you tell 'em. Balance is always perfect. Go figure...

·
Registered
520 Posts
the specified torque for lugnuts on later spiders is 65 lb/ft in doc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts