Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been driving the Brick this winter and let the 164 sit too long. It was a harsh winter and the 164 needs a new timing belt and water pump and the new baby isn't helping me free up time, so it sat. I went to start it last night and the battery was dead. Kind of surprised me because it has started all winter whenever I did occasionally drive it. It even started one morning when the 240 would not because of very low temps. So, I jumped it with the 240. Started just fine BUT, all the exterior lights were on and some odd icons on the dash were on like the rear foglights, when they were not on. VERY strange. I shut the car off and STILL the lights on and would not go off even the odd dash lights would not go off. Serves me right for not driving it enough.

I have fixed it, thanks to the old Alfa Digest. A post over there was a very similar situation where a fellow in 2003 had his lights coming on in the winter for no reason. His fix..... change the fuse box panel. Fortunately I had a used one in my stash of 164 parts and a 20 minute swap has it all back to normal.

The pictures of my old fuse panel tells the story. Apparently the flexy printed circuit boards in these can cause problems.
Never give up on your old 164 it MAY only be a 20 minute fix with the right parts.
Charles

Attachments

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can only imagine it could have had a worse meltdown. As is was it was still a level 3 or 4 on the International Nuclear Event Scale. I guess this fuse panel is more of a common problem than I had realized. I found some posts by Evgeny with fuse panel pictures as well. I had better start looking for another spare panel to have on hand. You can't have too many Alfa parts on the shelf.

I also had interior lights on and was unaware prior to this that I had any power door lock issues until I found that fuse melted but not blown. I do hope my type 32 dump truck battery will not suffer for the full discharge condition it has endured. It's on the charger now. I sure don't want to buy another one. Gas may be cheap these days, but batteries are still expensive.
Charles

·
Premium Member
15,863 Posts
Glad you got it fixed, and that the 164Digest site was of help. I keep trying to get new owners to take a look at it, as it contains a ton of older information for these cars, still very relevant.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Absolutely Del, That Digest forum was just as much of a goldmine of posts as this forum. Only downside it had was the lack of posted images. We post a lot over here, but sometimes a search over there can be very useful. A lot of good folks spent a lot of time posting info over there and we are very fortunate it is still there.
Charles

·
Premium Member
15,863 Posts
Every once in a while, I wander through the various subjects to find what the original owners had to say, and fix, lol, when they had bought the cars new. Some of the info is to be treasured.

Plus, all of the 164 specs are there to research.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
you can get these panels over from time to time and they're advertised as new. Different than the US version I imagine but maybe workable. Glad it's sorted Mr Chaz. ciao jc

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Failed N22 ARCU

I just realized after driving this car for a day or two, that my interior lights were not working and my buzzer was inop as well. I suspected a bad N22 ARCU, so I went looking in my spares for a new used one. As soon as I plugged it in, they all came on! Love it when I have something I need in my spares. Turns out a transistor was fried in the upper pcb. Looks like an SR52. I should be able to fix it with a new one as it looks like that is all that failed in it that I can see.
Charles

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts