Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am restoring a 64 Giulia Spider and am wondering about which headlamps to use, because lathough I have the Carello headlamp rings in reasonable condition, I do not have the lights. I think the opriginal options were Carello, Lucas or Cibie. Are there any views out there on which is best, best looking etc?

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
It depends where the car was from. If US, it only had sealed beams--Westinghouse or GE. The Carellos and other makes with separate reflector and bulb were illegal

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Understand that the Carello rings, sometimes referred to as doors were used on all lighting. It's up to you what you want to use. The German market had their own rules, usually requiring a running light at the bottom of the reflector dish about the size of a flashlight bulb ala the old VW bugs. There will be no backlash from any purists saying that you are using sealed beams as they are the most economical and practical and are correct. In fact the Westinghouse and GE's are getting hard to find as Wagner has the market. I have yet to drive so fast that I out ran the sealed beams. They are indeed original to the car regardless where it started and are reversible with a screw driver should you source some expensive Cibies, Carellos, or Marchals. I have yet to see some Lucas Tri-seg lights or whatever they are called but I am sure someone has them . If you run halogens, I would wire up a separate relay but that's where GTD comes in. He told me that..

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
In period, you were likely to see Marchall and Hella in addition to those names. Aftermarket headlights were a popular change, especially for US cars which all came with sealed beams. All of the different lights had their own distinctive appearance so you have some choice. If you can get a Giulietta parts manual to look at, I believe it will show the "official" Alfa headlight options. Personally, it's hard to go wrong with Carellos.

The photo is of a Marchall "Ampilux" dual filliment headlight. They came along in the late 60's and so are a little later, although still period correct.
They're going on my Super.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts