Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to remove the headlights, brake lights, steering wheel and front grille?

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Night before: Spray 3M adhesive remover liberally around the circumference of the Alfa badge on that beautiful grille. Drink a few brews, go to bed. Next morning: Headlights: Loosen all front screws surrounding the headlamps (these are the aim adjustment screws for each lamp) after a liberal dousing with Liquid Wrench or PB Blast. With a screwdriver, pliers, small sturdy paint scraper, drill, and several sizes of drill bits, sit down in front of the car facing the grille. Look at the top right of each headlight assembly, and you will see a small wire spring clip tensioned over a post. Carefully pry the spring clip wire up and over the post (to your right) until it is free. Grasp the right side of each headlamp assembly and gently pull/pry on the right side (as you sit facing the car). Be patient, wiggle, watch, and work it. A few turns in and out now and then on the adjustment screws can help. Do this until those screws will easily back all the way out loosely. Be careful prying against that plastic grill! Once the right side of each lamp assembly pivots forward and out, gently wiggle the rest of the headlight forward and out.
Next is the grille. At the bottom of the center Alfa triangle, there is an aluminum rivet retaining the bottom of the triangle center grille. I apologize if you already know how but here's how to drill out a rivet. Select a drill bit approximately the same size as the entire head of the rivet. Carefully drill until the head of the rivet breaks free and spins about your drill bit. Stop. Change bits to one the size of the center shank of the rivet, and drill carefully straight through. Once the rivet is out, pry the Alfa Badge out from the center grille with the paint scraper. It's held in place by two posts and adhesive, which is now softened by your 3M spray job last night. Once removed, a single screw is revealed which will then remove the center chrome grille. Place it on a red satin pillow, it's so cool. You will now tackle the black plastic grille pieces. All are held in place by rivets, so repeat the drill-out procedure until each grille piece is free. The plastic is probably too brittle to survive completely intact unless you are talented or lucky, be prepared to chew up an edge or two or have a brittle piece crack on you but it's nothing that can't be repaired. Brake lights are simple; remove the outside lenses and inside cover panel revealing the lamp housing assemblies. Locate the retaining screws and out they come. Have not tackled the steering wheel yet, its next. If you get stuck holler.
NOTE: Don't confuse the nut plates for the headlight adjustment scews for rivets when drilling out the black plastic grille pieces. They can look similar to a large rivet when everything is covered in years of grime.

·
Registered
398 Posts
My mechanic told me that the GTV steering wheel is quite easy to remove - take off the centre cap, undo the nut and then using a hand on each side, bang it from behind in an alternating fashion. Like you were beckoning something towards you.

I haven't tried it - but if I get time I will in the next few weeks so I can install my new wheel.

·
Registered
624 Posts
My mechanic told me that the GTV steering wheel is quite easy to remove - take off the centre cap, undo the nut and then using a hand on each side, bang it from behind in an alternating fashion. Like you were beckoning something towards you.

I haven't tried it - but if I get time I will in the next few weeks so I can install my new wheel.
Even after liberal doses of PBlaster, my steering wheel would not come off in this manner. I had to borrow a steering wheel puller from my mechanic (Thanks Emilio!) to get mine off.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm seeming to have that same problem.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Even after liber doses of PBlaster, my steeting wheel would not come off in this manner. I had to borrow a steering wheel puller from my mechanic (Thanks Emilio!) to get mine off.
Ditto that for me on 3 of my 4 Alfettas...If you can bang your wheel off the splines with your bare hands, I'd be seriously concerned about the condition of said splines (or perhaps you have a future as an Ultimate Fighter? :D)!

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
If a steering wheel puller is not handy try having an assistant pull hard while you give the center of the shaft a few sharp raps with a hammer using a sturdy punch of a diameter smaller than the shaft or you'll mushroom it and won't be able to get the nut back on.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will let you know how hard mine is to get off on Tuesday. I don't feel like using a puller, so I'll bring a friend and some beer with me. :cool:

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,028 Posts
I will let you know how hard mine is to get off on Tuesday. I don't feel like using a puller, so I'll bring a friend and some beer with me. :cool:
Man, if it's anything like my Milano was (and I did have a puller) bring some shaped charge explosives as well. I was about five minutes from just dremeling that sucker off the shaft.

I suggest using anti-sieze on the splines when you put the new one on.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I put anti-seize on most any metal to metal contact for that very reason.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I get the steering wheel off with the hammer and a heavy metal tap. Get nut completely off... Seat the tap with its point in the little centering hole on the steering column and indeed just hammer on it while someone else pulls. You don't need to hammer that hard, just frequent.
My old garage used an air hammer to get them off in 2 seconds, but that's a bit too rigorous for me...

Pullers can work but you need to be careful not to damage the steering wheel or bend the puller. Some don't fit/reach and it's a slow process. Last resort...

I get my headlights out in 2 minutes by just completely loosening the non-adjustment screw, and prying off the clip, you can just rotate them out then. But that's for a well maintained car. Might have to follow La Voce's advice when they don't come out easily.

Rear lenses might be silicone-glued to the car if the old rubbers had been worn out. In that case remove all 6 (or is it 5) plastic tube like screws from the boot, then pry your fingers around the lens and start pulling slowly... silicone yields to time applied pressure rather than shockwise... just keep pulling and they'll come off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts