Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my '91 Spider, the chrome trim ring on my passenger side headlight is cracked at the bottom and needs to be replaced, a common problem from what I have heard. The only problem is that most of the usual parts vendors seem to only have a stainless steel replacement, which from I can tell from a helpful video on the IAP site is less "shiny." IAP has both in the catalog but only the stainless in stock. But it is supposed to be stronger. I would like to get the original chrome, so I do not have to replace both and because I like the chrome look. Anyone have experience with the stainless, how different is it from the chrome, or any sources for the chrome version? I have seen replacements advertised by English vendors, but not sure of those are chrome or not. Thanks!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Sources

These come up frequently on ebay. Not too expensive. I think I saw some this week, Just need to make sure it is chrome, and you may have to buy 2 get one. I need one too - if you bid for two , I might take the other.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,420 Posts
A couple of notes on this:

1) Currently at Centerline we have chrome in stock. Last time we got them in from the same manufacturer (ordered under the same part number!) they were stainless. As others said, chrome has better initial shine, but will pit and generally look nasty over time.

2) If one were to spend a few minutes with one of the stainless trim rings on a buffing wheel the shine could easily be brought up to that of chrome, if that's a concern.

Joe

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Joe, thanks for the info. We have a guy in our area who buffs metal so maybe buffed stainless is the way to go - is the stainless actually stronger, i.e. will not crack or at least less likely to around the screw hole (I think there was a service bulletin on this issue? I do not have a car disc)

·
Supporting Vendor
4,420 Posts
is the stainless actually stronger, i.e. will not crack or at least less likely to around the screw hole
I would assume so. The metal under Italian chrome is typically pretty poor quality. As I said, one of the major reasons these get replaced is pitting in the chrome.

Joe

·
Registered
288 Posts
These come up frequently on ebay. Not too expensive. I think I saw some this week, Just need to make sure it is chrome, and you may have to buy 2 get one. I need one too - if you bid for two , I might take the other.
The only problem with the e-bay rings is that they are not new and are typically pitted from age etc... Just like ours:eek:

·
Registered
288 Posts
A couple of notes on this:

1) Currently at Centerline we have chrome in stock. Last time we got them in from the same manufacturer (ordered under the same part number!) they were stainless. As others said, chrome has better initial shine, but will pit and generally look nasty over time.

2) If one were to spend a few minutes with one of the stainless trim rings on a buffing wheel the shine could easily be brought up to that of chrome, if that's a concern.

Joe
Interesting Joe - thanks for your input on this. I have been actually looking for new chrome rings so I'll call you guys today with an order. My baby is a garage queen so I do not think that pitting /deterioration will be a big factor if I stay up on the polishing.

Jeff

·
Registered
138 Posts
I wouldn't go with the used ones. They start rusting from the back. I would go the the stainless ones or new chrome ones. If you opt for the new chrome version I would paint the back side with rust guard or pour 15.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts