Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy the relatively hard to find stainless (chrome?) round trim pieces that go around the headlights on a Duetto when the buckets are not mounted from behind. These particlaur headlight trims are less bulky than the typical "American" headlight trims on a Duetto that are used when no cowls are used, and actually fit underneath the Carello headlight cowls. I have the cowls on and need these trim pieces to hide the retaining ring and screws that hold my headlights in place. These trim pieces will avoid me the brain damage of moving the bucket mountings. I will post a picture of what I am talking about shortly. New or gently used would be fine.
Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Greetings:

I know of what you speak, Franny. My '67 was delivered with these, and they remain with the car. My understanding was that they were unobtaniuum, until very recently. What was provided with "kits" was a simple stainless ring to cover the edge of the bucket hole sheet metal.

Although I can not vouch for their quality, ReOriginals now stocks:

Headlight outer trim ring, Euro version for covered... - L0270 Price: $151.8
Headlight outer trim ring, Euro version for covered headlight cars, NOS,
#105036501402, quite rare. Special thin shape, stainless steel.
- Michael

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Michael. You are correct. I have been in touch with Matt at Re-Originals and he can get them for me but he has to order them from Italy. I will go that route if no one on the Alfa BB can rescue me.

Greetings:

I know of what you speak, Franny. My '67 was delivered with these, and they remain with the car. My understanding was that they were unobtaniuum, until very recently. What was provided with "kits" was a simple stainless ring to cover the edge of the bucket hole sheet metal.

Although I can not vouch for their quality, ReOriginals now stocks:

- Michael

·
Registered
158 Posts
For reference, are these the rings of which you speak?

Attachments

·
Registered
321 Posts
Even though I think that is way too much money, I really like the way those look. Let me know if you decide to order and I wll also put in an order with Matt.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Trim ring

I have a pair of the European trim rings that are used when the headlight bucket is mounted from the inside. They are brand new and still in the plastic Alfa wrapping. $80 shipped. They look much nicer IMHO. Your car should have the studs on the inside of the front panel for mounting the buckets from the inside.
My parents had a Duetto they bought new and it came with the style that you are looking for. Attached picture is of the Euro trim (another set) on my old Duetto.

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The thin trim rings are nice, but I rather spend $300 on the trim rings I am looking for, than $600 paying someone to re-mount my buckets from behind, grind them to fit, touch up the paint, futz with the wiring, etc. :)

I have a pair of the European trim rings that are used when the headlight bucket is mounted from the inside. They are brand new and still in the plastic Alfa wrapping. $80 shipped. They look much nicer IMHO. Your car should have the studs on the inside of the front panel for mounting the buckets from the inside.
My parents had a Duetto they bought new and it came with the style that you are looking for. Attached picture is of the Euro trim (another set) on my old Duetto.

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
I wouldn't pay more than $100 to my body shop to mount those buckets. I did mine and I know how easy it is (drill three holes). The trim ring hides any paint chips (unless you've got a real mess) and with the covers on, you're not likely to see anything anyway. There are no changes to the electrical.

Personally I can't stand the USA trim rings with or without the covers but it's your money and your car...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmm. I already have OEM thin trim rings, so I am starting to be convinced I should bite the bullet and mount the buckets from behind. Thanks for the opinions.

I wouldn't pay more than $100 to my body shop to mount those buckets. I did mine and I know how easy it is (drill three holes). The trim ring hides any paint chips (unless you've got a real mess) and with the covers on, you're not likely to see anything anyway. There are no changes to the electrical.

Personally I can't stand the USA trim rings with or without the covers but it's your money and your car...

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
Seriously, you will be much happier. The USA rings were an afterthought response to the Fed requirement that headlight adjustment be from the front. The Euro rings are clean and unobtrusive whereas the USA rings are rather garish and blingy. Putting them behind the covers helps a ton but at such a cost...

·
Registered
321 Posts
I just bought a 1969 spider and the PO put the Carello headlight covers over the stock thick trim ring. I actually like the way the lights look this way, but the headlight covers do not fit right. The picture that Stopwatch posted is exactly what I am looking for. I am going to have a little "nose work" done and hopefully I can get these trim rings soon so that the headlight covers can be put on properly. I'll be placing my order with Reoriginals on Monday.

Stu, although the price is right, I actually prefer the look of the lights mouted in front.
Thanks for all the info and help.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
rings

I guess there were three styles then, the mount from behind chrome trim ring (which my European duetto came with), the front mount European rings, and the USA version. Something new to me.

Is it just looks or are they easier to work on, as in adjust the lighting?

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Stopwatch;

Would you mind sending the depth and diameter measurements on those rings? Franny Alfa and I are trying to figure out something.

The European rings from top to bottom must be very slightly smaller in diameter than USA rings. The depth must also be smaller from front to back from what your pictures show.

I have sourced some headlight trim rings, but before I purchase them, I would appreciate any help to allow an educated purchase to doublecheck that they will work.

My European Spider has headlights which mount from the back, but the internal mounts were corroded and it might just be easier to make a changeover to front mounting which is very common and very available in the USA, except, of course for those rings.

Thanks,
Wes

·
Registered
74 Posts
Duetto trim rings

I searched for a year before I found a good set of the rings shown in post #6. When installed, the farings would not fit over the top of them without being too stressed. I tried moving the bucket downward but there was not enough room. I have since moved the buckets to the back side of the opening and am looking for a pair of the European rings. Dave B.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts