Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having trouble getting my stainless headlight trim rings on with my new headlight seals from Classic Alfa. The trim ring fits fine without the rubber but not with it installed. Anyone else have this problem? The high beam seals and rings are fine.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just like the High Beam Rubber in my 1st and 3rd pic?

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
I had to trim under the inner lip (the one that wraps around the light housing. Mounting tabs were a bit off and made it sit bulged in couple spots. Also I offset them enough, for adjusting screws to hide instead of showing through the holes. Outer lip stuck out around edges, but trim pressed/tucked it in when I installed it. Take a closer look at old tabs and compare them to new ones, they might be few millimeters off and make lens protrude out more than originals did. H.L. bowls had adjusters on them, separate from adjusting screws that locate lights into the bowl. I did have to fiddle with them some to make them look "correct". They are still not centered...

Attachments

·
Registered
8,907 Posts
Sounds like a typical reman fiasco. The whole design was to keep birds and flying insects from progressing I would slit the ring to make it fit if that is the issue. It is not a thumb in the dike and i have a feeling the only liquids it will fend of is a car wash..

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My headlights needed to be aimed more at the centerline of the car and up. That is why the glass sticks out more on the bottom left in the photo. Your rings look to protrude more than mine.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got my low beam seals and rings to fit better. The most productive part of the remedy was to pull the high outside corners of the flimsy body sheet-metal that the bucket screws to. This allowed the aiming screws to be in a more normal position which had the edge of the circumference of the headlight more even distance from the bucket and spring clips. So the headlight and stainless ring were both pointing in the same direction.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Maybe that's why they'd always been missing from the GTVs I bought over the years... all six of them.

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
Maybe that's why they'd always been missing from the GTVs I bought over the years... all six of them.
I think these seals and some additional gaskets were installed in different (Northern) markets: where these and under the door handle gaskets standard in all markets?

Got my low beam seals and rings to fit better. The most productive part of the remedy was to pull the high outside corners of the flimsy body sheet-metal that the bucket screws to. This allowed the aiming screws to be in a more normal position which had the edge of the circumference of the headlight more even distance from the bucket and spring clips. So the headlight and stainless ring were both pointing in the same direction.
Looking much better (y)

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I think these seals and some additional gaskets were installed in different (Northern) markets: where these and under the door handle gaskets standard in all markets?
The seals that Brad pictured are different than the seals on my Type 115.01. The main difference is the width of the flange, 115.01 being much narrower. I never did understand what was being “sealed.“ They certainly didn’t seem wide enough to seal against the trim rings. Then again, the trim ring easily fits over the seal without any forcing or customization.

Door handle gaskets were market specific from what some have said here on the BB. They definitely were not standard in the US, but may have been in Europe/Germany?

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I rechecked my low beam alignment. The passenger side was low and outside, so put a 1mm shim under the bottom of the bucket and a 1mm washer under the outside mounting screw. I also tweaked the adjusting screws 2 turns to produce a similar aim adjustment.(if I did all the adjustment with the aim screws I think the rings would interfere with the rubbers) I will see if this gets the aim to an acceptable point.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The low beam aim is good after checking it today.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts