Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The right headlight connector hi-beam clip has been overheating and I'd like to either replace it or the whole connector (browned nylon body at the one orifice). Any suggestions? I could pull the female pin out of the connector body and try to de-oxidize it, maybe putting it all back packed with dielectric grease to prevent oxidation. But I'm curious about others' experiences (or lack thereof) with this.

Is robbing a parts car for the connectors the only wise thing? are new ones still available? What's up?

Michael

·
Registered
460 Posts
Just replace the female connector. You should be able to buy replacement ends through places like Wurth, or any other high end electrical supplier. I will take a look at the parts 164 we have on Monday and see if I have the female end on the shelf. Worst case you can ready the whole headlight connector at the auto parts store. The bad part of doing that is the replacements are usually have smaller wire leads and cheaper plastic components.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Andrew,

You are more than kind to consider looking for the parts car, but I _do_ have my son's trashed '92S still in hand. I was looking for opinions on "The Right Thing To Do" to fix this. I see a bit of heat damage on the left headlamp, too. This may be exacerbated by our practice of leaving the headlamps on day and night as running lights, but that's what we do to help increase the car's longevity at the expense of having to buy headlight bulbs more frequently. I'd not seen heat damage on the other cars. This is an October '06 purchase that finally went on the street April '07.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Mike make sure that you do not have any of those cool blue bulbs as they tend to burn hotter and cause this problem.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Now, that's an eye-opener. I didn't get the cool blue bulbs, but I did get the daystar (or whatever) high brightness halogens for the wife's car. Maybe I should spring for Euro projectors if I want to up the visibility. That's not in the budget, but maybe I'll drop back to standard bulbs. She doesn't go out quarter-miling at night (as far as I know).

I still have another hour or so of daylight here, so it's off to the auto parts house to get some standard bulbs (one of the daystars seems dead). I'll De-Oxit the socket and maybe this time stuff it full of dielectric grease to see how that works.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Mike when I bought my S in Texas and drove it home Mostly night driving the socket was done by the time I got home. I called the p/o and he said he put the bulbs in the day before I flew out and everything looked ok to him.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Too late. Hi-beam pin got so hot that it blackened and carbonized the nylon(?) body of the connector. It's melted so much that it will no longer hold the female pin in contact with the male pin on the bulb. I'll be swapping the assembly from the totaled S car. Both cars are '92 164Ss.

MIchael

addition: I purchased two new sockets today at AutoZone for $5 each, Dorman part 85811. RockAuto price is $3.50 per, but shipping is extra. Same with Advance, because they don't stock this part in stores -- website order only. BapGeon stocks, but the local store was out.

·
Registered
216 Posts
My driverside headlight on the 164L just quit working, so I was going to fix it with a standard bulb from Kragens, but when I looked at the car I wondered how the heck I get the old bulb out and the new one in? Near as I can see, I've gotta work from inside the engine bay, maybe removing that rubber molding and then undoing the shell and bring it forward to change the bulb.

Or do I need to replace the whole rectangular assembly?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
My driverside headlight on the 164L just quit working, so I was going to fix it with a standard bulb from Kragens, but when I looked at the car I wondered how the heck I get the old bulb out and the new one in? Near as I can see, I've gotta work from inside the engine bay, maybe removing that rubber molding and then undoing the shell and bring it forward to change the bulb.

Or do I need to replace the whole rectangular assembly?
Just take off the bracket that mounts the relays and you should be able to reach in! Remove the two 8mm nuts and move the bracket and relays to the side.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I used Xenon bulbs in my Nissan, and about a year ago, both plugs burned up about a month apart. I soldered new plugs in and that cured it for now... I won't be using anything but standard 9004 bulbs now unless I run relays and my own wiring.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I'm looking into some HID conversion kits for my 164. They are making a pretty cool dual 9004 that has an electro magnet in it that shifts the bulb so you have hi and low beams.

Paul

1 - 15 of 15 Posts