Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the driver side headlight bulb in my 91 164S. I've used Sylvania bulbs w/ mixed results, so I'm looking at Phillips. On Phillips website they show an "extreme vision" bulb that claims to provide 100 % more light on the road,(yeah, right!). Has anyone tried these, or any of the Phillips bulbs that claim to produce 30 or 60% more light?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,491 Posts
A lot of that is marketing based on the psychological effect that whiter light (cooler color temperature) *seems* brighter to the human eye at the same level of lumens. Those X-treme vision ones have blue tinted envelopes to lower the color temperature, which is generally something you want to avoid as it trades lumens for color temperature.

If you look at the specs, the Phillips bulbs are pretty much the same (which makes sense, since lumen output is regulated):

Xtreme Vision: 1650 lumens +/-10%
Vision Plus: 1650 lumens (no range)
Vision: 1815 lumens +4%/-15%

...these are H4 but 9003 should be similar. You'll note the ranges are pretty big: that's so they can play games with the output & glass color and still be in spec. Personally I'd just by the standard Vision ones.

Lots of good info about this here: Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies, My understanding is that the 164 uses a 9004 bulb, of which Stern show 2. 1 has 1200/700 lumens, 2nd has 1230/720. The 2nd one corresponds to the Phillips 9004+30. Both of these bulbs are 65/45 watts which is what the oem bulbs are, so no wiring or switch worries. I've been through that in my GTV6! I'm interested in any real world opinions,(from actual user's) of these, or other bulbs, in a 164. Ultimately I'd like to upgrade to Bosch projectors but haven't seen any offered for a while.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,491 Posts
I'm interested in any real world opinions,(from actual user's) of these, or other bulbs, in a 164.
The problem with what you're asking for is that humans are REALLY BAD judges of these things. People will think a whiter bulb is brighter (because it seems brighter to the human eye) when it's actually throwing less lumens down the road and may actually make you see worse.

The 9004 bulb has a specified lumen range. None of those bulbs are really 30% brighter or whatever. Standard halogens from a reputable manufacturer are all gonna be good and difficult to differentiate between.

If you want slightly more light at the cost of bulb life, you can go with +30s, but avoid any type with blue-tinted glass (SilverStar, for example).

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
I'm not sure of the number as it corellates to the numbers presented here but I think they are the same - 9004. Anyway, I have the Phillips in my euro with the Elma lights and I did notice a difference in that the light is brighter in the sense that it is clearer if that's possible. They are H4 type and 55/65W IIRC. The light doesn't go farther or wider it - just is as best I can describe it - as being clearer light down the road. The distance the light goes out is related to the faceting in the lenses proper. I personally like the difference I noted but is it all "mental"? I have no idea but dont think so. ciao jc

·
Premium Member
9,776 Posts
Thanks for the replies, My understanding is that the 164 uses a 9004 bulb, of which Stern show 2. 1 has 1200/700 lumens, 2nd has 1230/720. The 2nd one corresponds to the Phillips 9004+30. Both of these bulbs are 65/45 watts which is what the oem bulbs are, so no wiring or switch worries. I've been through that in my GTV6! I'm interested in any real world opinions,(from actual user's) of these, or other bulbs, in a 164. Ultimately I'd like to upgrade to Bosch projectors but haven't seen any offered for a while.
To be honest I would go with a standard bulb 9004+30. Whatever Stern states will be the way to go. No over wattage or blue coated garbage. You will not see a drastic change due to the reflectors and most likely your lenses being old and just not a great headlamp to begin with. Bosch will be your answer. Using a Narva+50 H1 in those or 100W will be stellar. I have those and they are amazing. I have talked to Stern for years and I love talking automotive lighting. Learned a lot from Stern and learned that most bulbs are not great. Osram and Philips for example of the same bulb type, say a +30 are basically the same. I Prefer Narva now.

·
Premium Member
9,776 Posts
PHILIPS 9004/HB1 PRB1 BULB 65/45W Vision +30% DOT HEADLIGHT HALOGEN, Pack of 2

I used these in another vehicle per recommendation of Stern. Really nice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts