Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I met my wife and daughter out for dinner and on my way to the restaurant one of my headlamps decided to go out.

With that said, I did some research here on BB and I see the Euro light conversion maybe the way to go.

BUT, I have to ask this...
I have been on Ebay and saw these headlights available...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ALFA-ROMEO-SPIDER-CRYSTAL-ROUND-HEADLIGHTS-88-90-91-94_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33717QQitemZ8035408732QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

And these...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ALFA-ROMEO-SPIDER-CRYSTAL-PROJECTOR-HEADLIGHTS-88-94_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33717QQitemZ8035543068QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Are these a "no-no" for an 85 Spider...considering the wiring harness or would these be the "bare minimum" ok to use at night type of lights. I do not drive the car much at night and when I do it is generally for very short trips....

Just curious as to ya'lls perspective on these lights offered.
Thanks,

·
Supporting Vendor
4,332 Posts
Those look like Euro headlights modified to "look" like projector beam headlights. They take a H4 bulb and it looks like the lense is tinted blue. They would be OK. Probably more "bling" than function.

Here's what I would suggest:

1) Install relays. This will make your headlights brighter (no matter what you use) and lower the load on the column switch, saving you grief down the road when the switch burns out.

2) Go with some Cibie or Hella H4 lights. Great lights, great Z-beam pattern with a sharp cutoff so you don't annoy other drivers. Since you installed relays, you can use higher watt bulbs, but don't get carried away.

Joe

·
Registered
327 Posts
Refer to "Crystal Headlight" thread from 01/31/06

I don't think you really want to go the "crystal" route.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I agree with Phil. If you do not want to spend the money for the Hella's or Cibies, any new sealed beam will be better than the original candles. I replaced my factory Wagner sealed beams with Sylvania Silverstars, big big improvement. Consumers Reports had a articule recently that they said they were a waste of money. But they compared new bulbs to new factory bulbs, not to 15 or 20 year old ones. Richard

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
alfabeach said:
I agree with Phil. If you do not want to spend the money for the Hella's or Cibies, any new sealed beam will be better than the original candles. I replaced my factory Wagner sealed beams with Sylvania Silverstars, big big improvement. Consumers Reports had a articule recently that they said they were a waste of money. But they compared new bulbs to new factory bulbs, not to 15 or 20 year old ones. Richard
I replaced 5-months-old regular GE sealed beams with aforementioned sylvania silverstar sealed beams, and I have to say that silverstars are THE BEST sealed beams ever made!! Huge difference for merely 35-40USD for a pair, and no modification required!

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
I second (or third?) the silver stars. I have them in my 164 with the euro projection lights. They really don't like rough roads as those will reduce their life span significantly. They last about half the lifetime of regular bulbs, but I really like the bright white lights.

But yeah, stay away from the crystals...LMAO

I think I'll do what Joe says, that's a great idea!

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have the Cibie 7 inch and they are definitely superior to any sealed beam system. Although they are rather expensive. It depends on how much you drive at night. But according to some lighting experts, the Cibie are much better than the Hella DOT approved H4 system. Just my $.02

Todd

·
Registered
456 Posts
Install Relays FIRST!

I agree with JoeCabs recommendation:

"1) Install relays. This will make your headlights brighter (no matter what you use) and lower the load on the column switch, saving you grief down the road when the switch burns out"

In my experience, good relays and and decent guage wiring are the best improvement for the money. Even when using tired old sealed beams, I was amazed at the increase in light output.

The Silverstars and the Hella HB2s are great DOT legal lighting. The beauty of the E-codes such as Hella (good) Cibie (best) is that you can run incresed wattage bulbs without blinding oncoming traffic. I have tried all of the above except the HB2s and they are all good as long as you have followed step 1, install relays.

I currently am using Cibies with 100/130 watt bulbs. Most of my drives are done at night in remote canyons. When on low beam, the precise cutoff of the Cibies prevents glare for oncoming cars and those in front of me (before I pass them :D ) The high beams are like projected daylight.

E-codes are more expensive and may not be what you need if you are just running around. I need the increased light to spot deer, cows, and other errant mammals. Not to mention that my night vision is not what it was when I was younger :eek:

Hope I didn't bore you with details but was just trying to share my experience. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
If you use relays, you can also install a cross connection so that the low beam remains on with the high beam. I use Cbie z-beams with 100/160 watt H4's and can get near-daylight illumination. And on low beam nobody gets bothered.

The Cbies before the z-beam were just a center-left cutoff, with the right side rising sharply. This is OK on two lane roads, but on the freeway everybody to your right gets quite a bright blast in their rear view. Get the z-beams if you can.

If you use high watt halogens, be sure your alternator can handle the output. In my case, I have (100+160) X 2 = 520 watts or 44 amps at 12 volts. 70 amps if the fog lights are on too!!

With 12+ amps on each filiment, its feed wire should be at least 4mm, which is the diameter of he alternator main wire. The headlight switch has 2mm wire and will be overloaded.

R

·
Registered
456 Posts
Relay infor and links

I used the diagrams and information on Daniel Stern's website to properly setup my relays. I used the power junction in the engine bay instead of wiring directly to the alternator though.
Check:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html
He also has high quality relays available and is very helpful if you call or email him.

For more details on relays or prewired harnesses, check:
http://www.rallylights.com/hella/Relays.asp

Bear in mind that Susquehanna Motorsports is providing a generic harness not Alfa specific.

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
456 Posts
7 inch headlamps and H.I.D. issues

High intensity discharge lighting is best suited to lamp configurations that use separate housings/reflectors for low and high beams. There used to be a manufacturer with an H.I.D. retrofit bulb that had a motorized shield that moved along the bulb when the driver switched from low to high beam but they have since discontinued these kits since they were too problematic.

H.I.D. low beams should be of the parabolic projector type only, because even E-code reflectors were unable to prevent glare to other drivers when saddled with the output of H.I.D.'s. This problem eliminates H.I.D.'s from being a viable solution for any Alfa Romeo Spider. You can find a true 7 inch projector headlamp (not the ebay junk) but then you will have NO highbeam.

A more reasonable solution if you absolutely must have H.I.D. lighting is to get a set of Hella parabolic projector driving lights. I used them on my 2004 Jetta GLI along with the european H.I.D. housings. If they had not been destroyed when the car was totalled by a distracted (dripping sarcasm) driver, they would be mounted in the front spoiler of my spider. They were great lights but redundant since I had already upgraded the Jetta withe the Euro H.I.D. housings et al.

Hope it helps...:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts