Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Good write-up. I've been interested in the Evora as I like the 2+2 setup, and had wondered how it might compare to the 4C as everyone (mostly) compares it to the Cayman/Cayman S, as noted:

“The Alfa Romeo 4C and Lotus Evora are not the two cars that the motoring press have been pitting against one another in recent weeks. Instead, they've been pitting the 4C against the Cayman. We say balls to that. Why? Because as noted above, these two unlikely cars are incredibly close matched.”

“Overall, the 4C is a miracle. It is cheaper than the Evora, more economical than the Evora, and it is so exciting compared to the numb Porsche Cayman that you'd be mad to even consider either of them over this.”

I love the way the British write… “We say balls to that.” Hah :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
and this is from a UK reviewer...

...while I love CAR & other UK magazines, not only do they drop EVERYTHING when a new Jag or Lotus comes out, I always see them giving the nod to UK brands in comparos where no one outside the UK would have even included them in the article (i.e. mercedes e63 or m5? Jag XJR the surprise winner!).

So having them tell people to put the Evora away, let alone going so far as to stick up for the 4c's headlights, wow!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yes, it's quite amazing, but then again most UK car writers have a soft spot for Alfa Romeos. Chris Harris even said that he desperately wished for Alfa's success with the 4C. This from a guy who has openly stated that he isn't very well versed in the culture and history of Alfa Romeo.

Then again, every car writer on the planet seems to be skewed towards their domestic car production, and if they don't have any, they mostly bow before German marques while chanting "we're not worthy".

To wit: the brits' (somewhat unrequited) love of Jaguars and Lotuses, the German car mags' often ridiculous "tests", not to mention US car writers' mantra of "straight fours are for gays".

Speaking of German tests, the funniest (or saddest, really) was the one in which the reporter broke out his Vernier calliper to see which had the most uniform panel gaps of an Audi A3 and a Giulietta.

;)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yes, it's quite amazing, but then again most UK car writers have a soft spot for Alfa Romeos.
So true; Brits love Alfa. If only Jaguar came out with a similar car, then lines in the sand will have to be drawn.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Well, German motor writers often declare an Alfa better in every respect than a German car in a comparison test, and in the end declare that the German car the better car.
Erik

·
Registered
209 Posts
Alfa for the in with its more focused effort.

The Evora is somewhat straying from the lotus mantra....IMO

The evora Needs more power for its size and weight....

I'm sure the Toyota dependability is great and appreciated by owners

If in fact any are being sold.

·
Registered
1 Posts
4C vs. Evora

Hmm not sure about all the above. the Evora is a fine machine that’s been around fro 6 years. the 4C is yet to prove itself. The reviews are mixed (I'm not talking about the British reviews) with the steering response, power band, etc. And so far the delivery delays have not given alfa a passing grade as they have done what most new European endeavors do, Fumble (i.e. Formula 1 and the Michelin tire fiasco). I would wait and see. And don’t forget the nice parts of the Alfa come from their joint ventures with Ferrari. Now that Fiat is spinning Ferrari off in an IPO we will have to see how they will keep this car evolving.

·
Premium Member
16,279 Posts
All I know is that if the parts are made by Ferrari, we won't be able to afford/buy any parts, knowing what my repair shop has to pay for his Ferrari parts. And, I don't think Ferrari engines/drivetrains are any more reliable than most others.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And don’t forget the nice parts of the Alfa come from their joint ventures with Ferrari.
And pray tell, what parts would that be?

Looks like we've been around the block with regard to who allegedly "really" designed and built the 4C: Dallara, KTM, Maserati, Ferrari and Adler Plastic. Those who actually designed and built it was a skunk works team at Alfa Romeo, using a standard FPT driveline with an evolved 1750 (whose progenitor is in the 159, Brera and Giulietta). Namedropping Ferrari isn't present in the marketing material, nor is it in the 80-page technical brief from Alfa. You'd think they at least would mention it in the former, but they don't.

It is assembled in the Maserati factory, but no (interesting) parts come from neither the Maserati nor the Ferrari bin.

Boasting any 4C "Ferrariness" is all well and good down at the pub, but not around here.

And for that matter: it's not made in Portello either.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Well, Ferrari does the paint job, and apparently it isn't anyting to write home about.
Stangely, Ferrari owners have commented that this is typical.

·
Premium Member
16,279 Posts
Yet in the TV programs about building Ferrari's, they always show people with gloves on and magnifying glasses going over the paint job, saying that if it isn't perfect, back it goes.

Yeah, right.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yet in the TV programs about building Ferrari's, they always show people with gloves on and magnifying glasses going over the paint job, saying that if it isn't perfect, back it goes.

Yeah, right.
Ferrari never cared about paint jobs until like 10-15 years ago.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
All I know is that if the parts are made by Ferrari, we won't be able to afford/buy any parts, knowing what my repair shop has to pay for his Ferrari parts. And, I don't think Ferrari engines/drivetrains are any more reliable than most others.
The engine and gearbox is nearly the same as in the Giulietta 1,75 QV (engine block is alu in the C4 and cast iron in the G), with slightly more power G 235 C4 240 in Euro version.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The new Giulietta QV (MY2015) also have the alu 1750. It's the exact same engine as the 4C, only with 241 hp. The twin clutch gearbox on the 4C is the exact same unit they use in the Giulietta and MiTo, namely the FPT C635.

In other words, the Giulietta QV and the 4C have identical powerplants and drivelines.

As far as the paint job is concerned, having the body robot painted in the same facility as Ferraris is not exactly my idea of a joint venture. Remember: when you say "Alfa Romeo" and "Ferrari" in the same sentence, you are namedropping Alfa Romeo to make Ferraris look slightly better. It's not the other way around.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Remember: when you say "Alfa Romeo" and "Ferrari" in the same sentence, you are namedropping Alfa Romeo to make Ferraris look slightly better. It's not the other way around.
Love it !
I remember that Enzo was just an unhappy former Alfa employee.....

·
Registered
209 Posts
At cars and coffee this past summer I heard from a few guys...the evoras not quite as well sorted as we as consumers have come to expect...

The normal running of the evora is flawed from a reliability standpoint. Consider ears aren't going to accept that nonsense any more. Hopefully alfa has those aspects covered ...

Got to be honest but that's what I love about my past three votes. These things are utterly dependable. Great daily drivers...

I'm hopeful the alfa will be dependable as a daily driver....which was one of the reasons I was looking forward to the failed alfa version of the next gen mazda miata.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The normal running of the evora is flawed from a reliability standpoint. Consider ears aren't going to accept that nonsense any more. Hopefully alfa has those aspects covered ...
It is? That news to me; my Evora has been reliable as any car could be.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts