Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All:

Usually I never post, as most of my Alfa woes can be solved by a good search of the forum. However, I have run into something which has symptoms slightly dissimilar to what I have seen previously here. During the drive home for Thanksgiving, I noticed that the outer lights on my 1966 US spec TI did not emit light in either the high or low position. The inner "driving" lights (which are operated by a separate switch) continued to work, as did the parking lights and rear night-time lamps. Additionally, the high beam indicator on the left side of the dash is on whenever the lighting stalk is rotated to its most forward position or when the stalk is depressed; whether the stalk is up or down seems to not matter.

My first thought was that the contacts were bad, but that seems inconsistent with the descriptions of faulty switches in the forum which can seemingly be wiggled into working a little. Also, I do not recall any other thread mentioning the high beam indicator to be constantly lit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

--Chris

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Each light has its own fuse. Did you check them? Both outer lights being off really sounds like a switch problem. Contacts fused and shorted? That'd be consistent with the indicator stuck on.

You'll likely need to replace the rather expensive switch - contact APE (or other suppliers) to possibly find a used one. When you do, install relays for the lights - current overload is the most often culprit as the contacts wear and age.

Robert

·
Super Moderator
11,212 Posts
I agree with 60sRacer - if both lights have failed at the same time, the highest liklihood is the switch. However, given the expense and hassle of replacing the switch, it is worth verifying that the fuses are good, the headlight grounds are tight, etc. It is possible that one ground failed last month, and you didn't notice the problem until the second one failed more recently. But even bad fuses or grounds wouldn't cause the highbeam indicator to always be on, so yes, I predict a new headlight switch in your future.

Usually, you can coax some more life out of a failing switch by jiggling it. But there are always exceptions.

I also agree that adding relays to the headlight circuits will prolong your headlight switch's life.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts