Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just out of curiosity has any installed the head rest roll bars like the ones that you see on BMWs and Miatas? Do they exist for S3 spiders?

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
If you are talking about the two-hoop style (two small hoops behind each seat like MossMiata.com - Parts & Accessories for Your Mazda Miata) I have never seen such a product for an Alfa Spider, but a custom shop could probably fabricate one. My opinion is that a single hoop with diagonal brace offers more protection.

Just out of curiosity has any installed the head rest roll bars like the ones that you see on BMWs and Miatas? Do they exist for S3 spiders?

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
With a few exceptions that would require custom fabrication, double hoop roll bars are just ornaments- potentially dangerous ornaments. They won't protect you in a roll over and present a head injury hazard in an accident. If you are doing a roll bar, it should be part of a total track-prep, which would include racing seats and harnesses.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Not to hijack but I've thought about this as well. Would there be a way to fabricate a roll bar that would protect in roll over(with 5 point harness) and allow for soft top closure? I'm considering for my car so I can do some track events, auto cross, but keep street legal. I'm also concerned as many on here are about being rear ended and bashing the back of my head into a roll bar. Curious what the specs would need to be to be safe on the street without a helmet.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Not to hijack but I've thought about this as well. Would there be a way to fabricate a roll bar that would protect in roll over(with 5 point harness) and allow for soft top closure? I'm considering for my car so I can do some track events, auto cross, but keep street legal. I'm also concerned as many on here are about being rear ended and bashing the back of my head into a roll bar. Curious what the specs would need to be to be safe on the street without a helmet.
It depends how tall you are. At least one person on the BB who was 6'0 was able to do so. That's probably about the limit, however.

As far as safe on the street without a helmet, that's a subject of considerable debate. But I would think the risk of hitting your head on the bar is relatively low if you are wearing a harness and on a fixed-back seat.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
With a few exceptions that would require custom fabrication, double hoop roll bars are just ornaments- potentially dangerous ornaments. They won't protect you in a roll over and present a head injury hazard in an accident. If you are doing a roll bar, it should be part of a total track-prep, which would include racing seats and harnesses.
I don't really need to say anything more here, this sums it up completely. However, even more laughable are the single hoop bars that feign protection. Most likely the only thing they will ever do, other than look sporty, is crack your skull open because of the simple fact that you don't have a freakin' helmet on :whistling:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts