Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a tensioner failure on my 83 CA GTV6 (Iam the original owner) resulting in a bent valve. I am trying to remove the passenger side head (believe the problem is on this side as the cam shaft is harder to turn. So far I have remove the 8 head bolts, the exhaust manifold nuts and bolts (its not complete off will do that tommorrow), plenum, fuel rail, injectors and distributer and associated gear below distributer. Head will not move even using the roping method. At the bottom of the distributer hole I see a 'collar with slots in it and a shaft. This is below the gear I pulled out which I believe drives the ditributer. Should I remove the collar? The head has not been off the car sine 1988 when the the one piece head gasket replaced the original 2 piece gasket. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Terry

·
Registered
296 Posts
According to the manual, "extract intermediate gear operating the distributor and oil pump from the right cylinder head."

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I removed the gear but the 'collar' with 4 slots is below it. Not sure if that should be removed as I still can't get the head to budge.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I forget, but does the waterpump cover part of the head?

If you keep the intake runners on you can use them to help lift the head...give you something to hold on to.

I think there is a spot where you can get a screwdriver/prybar between the block and head to dislodge it....go easy.

hth,
scott

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got the head so that it is loose from the head gasket. It will still be a challenge to get it off the 8 head studs as it is very easy to bind on the studs. Greg Gordon recomended to use the rope on all the cylinders which I did. I then used a large crow bar to pry up from under the head where the thermostat water hoses enter an the head lifted.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Good job.

Yep, it is easy to **** the head and bind on the studs. When that happens, push or tap the high side back down a bit and try again.

Are you going to do a full head refurbish with seals, guides and valve grind or just fix the bent one?

EDIT: I guess the forum nanny bot doesn't like the word "c0ck."

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am probably just going to repair the damage but we will see once I get the thing off. I am now at the stage I need another pair of hands as I have the head pretty high above the block. Quess I will get a friend tommorrow to help on the final lift. Terry

·
Registered
776 Posts
my timing belt turned to mush on my gtv6 so i'm doing the heads and jumped to this article.so far i have the passenger side off after two days of sliding it up and down with grease and each time a drop more.so far there are three intake valves bent.lol.i've removed heads from an alfa 6/sei and there appeared to be more room than on the gtv6.the driver side slips up very easily but i'm thinking of how to avoid the booster.as i've said it was not a big problem on the sei.i'm leaning towards tilting the engine on one side.any thoughts?

·
Registered
353 Posts
The driver's side will have you either removing the engine completely or removing the brake booster entirely.

Hth,
Zig

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
When you go to reinstall be SURE you rotate the exhaust rocker arms so the little half-moon cutouts are in alignment with the holes for the studs. I know there are some detailed instructions on that procedure here.

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Hi Cowfy

Yes you have to remove the brake booster. I've heard some people claim on the inter-google that they were able to pull the head without removing the brake booster, by removing the drive-shaft, removing the engine mounts, and lying the engine on it's side.

Sounds like a lot of work and I still don't believe it's possible.

Bye

·
Registered
975 Posts
Did mine with the engine out, and was a real b i t c h.. Patience, a mallet, 2x4's, a buddy to stabilize it, and never take the bait to be too rough.. Work each corner one at a time with blows against the 2x4's.. Knock em up and down little by little til it comes off. That crystaline, dried out ant-freeze glonked onto the head studs is like cement... It won't let go without patience and persistence. Keep at it.. Took us four hours... But we got it off!

·
Registered
975 Posts
One more thing..

Do not use a crowbar!!! You can damage the casting, and then you've got a real problem. Do not pry anything on that head.. It wasn't made for that. Use wood and mallet and patience and persistence.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts