Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined up tonight! So far have read a lot of interesting and helpful threads. I could use some help: I am removing and rebuilding my head. Got the head bolts removed inc. the 2 by the water pump. Havent been able to remove head - any suggestions? I know a tool exists but havent been able to find it. Short of having one fabricated, what other options do I have, or other methods?
Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Welcome to AlfaBB.com Dave!

I do not have any advice to offer you but here is a shot of the Alfa factory head removal tool, No. A.20451 01. Every once in a while one will show up on eBay, but they'll go for over $80.

I'm sure some one here will give you more details on the head removal.

Attachments

·
Registered
325 Posts
If you haven't joined AROC, I'd recommend it. My cylinder head was stuck too and the president my local NJ chapter (Enrico Ciabattoni) fabricated a puller, came over and the head was off in about 60 seconds.

Enrico's interest and willingness to help with my project was well worth my annual dues. (Not that the dues had anything to do with his help, but AROC is full of crazy helpful people and its nice to be able to contact them)

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Check your email. I sent you something off Alfa Digest written by a guy who also had a stuck head.

I've heard of a technique of removing the cams and using some stout rope (keep the end out) in the cylinder and using the outboard pistons to push up on the head. I've never used this technique, so I don't know how it works.

By far the best procedure is to make a factory removal tool . . . or maybe two.

After you get the head off, clean the bolts good and use some anti-sieze compound to make the next removal easy.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Dues for the AROC National club are $60 per year which includes automatic membership in a local chapter of your choice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts