Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what options for 4cyl heads would i have if i wanted to try to use something other than the standard head off my 85 spider. can you use t.s head(if so, what casting or model car would i need to get it from? is there a 16v 4cyl head that will work? or would a port, oversized valves(if available) stiffer springs, etc, etc...be a better choice. also where did the T.S get its extra power and torgue from(stupid question i know) was it from the head design, or is the bottom end different also from the spiders bottom end. i would be running an aftermarket ecu and ignition im more concerned with whether or not it would even work. also if anyone knows what size combustion chambers the 2L spiders had i would appreciate knowing. has anyone ever milled the head to decrease the combustion chamber? thank you

·
Registered
443 Posts
twistyeyes-- you're probably not getting much response because you are asking questions that require detailed, time-consuming responses that have been provided many times before so: USE THE SEARCH BUTTON! There is a wealth of info. in the "engine conversion" and "engine rebuilding" forums of this site-- check it out.
Generally: easiest, cheapest, least labor-intensive route is to modify what you've got. No modern Alfa 4-valve heads will fit-- they're Fiat based motors and different design. Twinspark head could be adapted at considerable cost and effort, but you'd be better off installing a complete motor with it's intake and ignition pieces which you then could modify w/ aftermarket ECU setup but likely couldn't improve on enough to make it worth the effort and expense-- the stock setup is pretty good for most street applications. The twinspark head is a more modern design and in conjunction w/ modern EFI and ignition is what provides the increased h.p and torque over the original Nord motors such as you have. Cyl. head modifications are not my strength and I will leave to others to reply or...., you could find all there is to know, practically speaking, if you let your fingers do the walking.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
i did do some searching, but unless i wanted to go through every thread with head/ twinspark, and all the other major words i would get almost every engine related thread. but i think you summed it up, unless someone else chims in. untill then i will search some more. thank you

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks. anyone know who still imports the twinspark engines? it might be more ecenomical to do the whole engine swap.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
443 Posts
Twisty--- Have recently been informed of a way to relatively inexpensively adapt twinspark cyl. head to Nord block using a certain type of wheel nut and some simple machine work rather than the required task of refitting longer studs-- PM me if you're interested.
It still may be easier to find a complete twinspark motor rather than just the cyl. head though. I bought one last week off the BB--- just keep your eyes and your pocketbook open.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Take a look at this eBay store eBay Store - ALFA1750'S CARBURETORS PARTS STORE: Carburetors, carburetor parts, carburetor rebuild kits this is the guy I got my motors from if you let him know you want Twin Twin Sparks he will list them. I saw a set for sale a while back. The shipping is way cheep and I was very happy with what I got.
I rebuilt one from the bottom to the top but the other one that is going into my Buddy's car as is.
The head idea is cool but a wast of time and money in my humble opinion. The bottom end of the TS is better than the nord anyway. Stronger and the crankshaft has screw in plugs that cannot come out . You also get a much lighter and stronger starter and a better alternator (depending on the year of you car).
Buy two sell one and be happy.
What car do you have?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
why are they always shipped in pairs? i have pretty much decided to go entire twin spark. i was only kicking the head idea around soley to not have many modifications to do. does the T.S mate directly up to a spider transmision? also once you go high horsepower(200+ i guess) the ranny and rear end become the weak links. other than putting in the ford 9inch what is possible for beafing up the rear end. also are there other trannys that will mate up to the T.S that are stronger than the spiders tranny?

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Why would you assume that the tranny and diff are weak? There are many modified street and race cars doing just fine with the stock components.

Erik

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
read it somewhere on the forum. doesnt necessarily mean its true. but i would like to know just how much hp/tq both are capable of handling. i'm sure the rubber doughnut would need to be replaced

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Whether the stock components will suffice depends on just how much power you are shooting for. My engine makes about 200 hp and 150 ft lbs and the stock gears and diff work just fine. And believe it or not, the Giubo (donut) will handle that kind of problem just fine, although it isn't a bad idea to run a cage on it if you are doing high-speed track work.

Erik

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
why are they always shipped in pairs?
I was told by Gabriel (they guy who ships in pairs) that shipping is by cubic meter and not by weight. One engine will cost the same in shipping as two. A buyer could easily be in touch with others who want one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts