Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I decided to order head light for my Giulietta Spider Veloce 1961/62 and found out so much variables.

I have some questions:

1. My car is USA car with 170mm head lights. I studied ricambi catalogue and it is also quite NOT CLEAR. Is it OK to use Carello optics with one circuit only ???
2. Does have this optic park light or not ???
3. Front sign lights had for my car 171903 function of park light ??? My car is one of the latest and in Giulia electrical wiring scheme I see two circuits for front sign lights - so logically the head lamps should be just one circuit. And also head lamps have just one circuit in wiring diagram. So no parking light. It was the same for late Spider Giuliettas ??? In Service manual of Giuliettas Spiders seems to be like that.
4. I heard something about GE lamps for USA car. So there was no Carello delivered from factory ???
5. I have Carello catalogue and it does not match with Ricambi cataloge (983-11/1964) at all. I speak about Carello order numbers for Giulietta spider USA version. The ctalogue is in [email protected] web files.

So finaly I will order from OKP the head lamps. They have logo Carello, they do not have parking light. They have correct diameter.
There is just one with side light and one not. What is it side light - is it parking light (with separate circuit) or info that it shine more on the right side to better see pedestrians ???

What is correct ???

Thank you for clarification.

Mirek

·
Super Moderator
11,555 Posts
The USA cars usually had only sealed beam headlights, GE being most common on Spiders. These had only high and low beam function.
By altering your wiring loom, you might be able to use the Euro system, or the German system with side marker parking lights. I once owned a 300SEL 6.3, USA car fro '68 that had the conversion switch for all the non sealed beam multi-bulb trickery available in Germany when it was built.
I have owned from new, my 1965 1600 Spider veloce, which became a purpose built Ausca race car from new, with headlights bulbs replaced with plastic taped covers. I recently found the original GE bulbs when I moved my shop. Meanwhile, racing done, the car has been re-converted for street use.
I found a pair of non-sealed beam Carillo H-4 italian made headlights and installed those. They are a high-low beam only with a replaceable bulb. The use the same wiring and connector as the USA spec sealed beam bulbs.

·
Premium Member
1,545 Posts
The Bilux headlights offered by OKP, while period correct are really not that great in lighting much of what is in front of you, I would suggest at least finding some Carello's with the quartz H4, as shown in Gordon's photos.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi

I studied carefully all lamps aviable on the market. Almoast 20 servers. Even NOS sources.
The correct reflector should be for USA Spyder after 8000 7” Carello 07.500.816. for LHD. But without Side light (exl. Germany).
What I see is that there is no head lamps which are completely correct aviable.
The lamp Gordon is showing has side light. And it is also not from 1961. A lot of them announced as Ducatti headlamp from its era. Of course they were used for more applications.
For Usa cars were used sealed lamps which are still aviable under code H6024.
There are aviable lamps from GE, Philips, Sylvania, Hella and Wagner and some non branded ones. They are even aviable in Retro design or with long life or high efficiency or even with xenon look or Led versions. Of course the high technology versions does not have anything connected with what people with Usa Giuliettas are looking for.
Even the price is ok. Price from 8USD (standart) to 25USD for long life version. Also standart halogeen colour 2700K or shifting to 5000K or higher. Correct is to keep 2700K.
Problem is transport to EU. To ask for 180 USD for package of 2pcs is unfair price.
To me this seems to be more correct than to use anyway non correct Carello reflectors and H4 lamps - but they are Ok for Eurepean cars.
To me to use this lamp make sence even because of lifetime/cost beacuse our cars we do not use every day so is better to keep it correct.
I attach some pictures of those “Retro“ lamps.

Does anybody have a good source of those lamps in EU for normal price ???

With Many regards,

Mirek

PS: Those Philips with Halogeen and Ge logo, long life are cool, aren’t they ????

·
Super Moderator
11,555 Posts
Wrong. Mine have NO sidelights. Come look again....
It's also from 1965, same as the car. Date stamped.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
You might look for European Cibie 7" hi-lo (H4) lamps. Their optics have always been some of the best. They can be had with the small internal "City Light" bulb if you like.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts