Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard that these things are notorious for blowing head gaskets. My Milano's temp runs between 175 and 200. I think this is a bit high. I also have to add coolant every so often. It's not leaking on to the ground so this leads me to believe.......

·
Registered
14 Posts
There is a good article on gtv6.org about the V6 cyclinder head.

You can go to it directly here

Loosing a little coolant does not nesecarily mean you have a blown head gasket. You may just have a leak somewhere. If your head gasket is away you normally get oil in the coolant header tank (looks like cream) though not always!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I blew a head Gasket on mine about 2 years ago (as above - oil in header tank), the biggest pain was trying to find out which bank it was - which I couldn't so ended up taking both heads off.

mine runs about 185 normally

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not seeing any oil in the header tank, so maybe the head gasket is not the case. Does the thermostat have anything to do with when the fan turns on? My fan doesn't turn on untill about 200 degrees. I'm thinking of wiring the fan so it stays on constantly.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Pat,

After owning several Milanos/75's since 1992 (and worrying about "running too hot" since then), I've learned over time that they were designed to run between 175 and 200F.

The fan does turn on at about 195 at which point the needle is alarmingly erect. But if you have a good clean radiator, the temperature should come back down to 175 before the fan shuts off.

My 75 3.0V6 is also my track car, and I put it through a lot. A lot of our track events are during the summer and they are held in the high desert (Willow Springs), or in the California central Valley (Buttonwillow). Both places are well known to have ambient temperatures in the 95-100F range. Running full throttle for a good 20 laps at both those tracks will quickly make the needle jump to 200-210 and stay there! Only during those times do we 75/Milano drivers turn the heather on in the cabin to keep the temperature stable. I have yet to lose a head gasket or radiator hose or radiator.

It's a tough little car.

Oh, did I mention that after said track event, I have a 300-mile hike back to home in the same car? Yup, I have that much faith in the 75 :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well that's good to know. I've been worried about taking it on any long trips because of that reason. Thanks for the advice

1 - 6 of 6 Posts