Alfa Romeo Forums banner

121 - 135 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Aloha Rich, thank you for the reply. I have an actual manual (surprise, surprise, surprise, lol ), haven't opened it yet but am about to. So a new thread would be better? Ok, I'll do that, thanks. In a day or so, lol. Thanks again, Rich

Jeff

·
Registered
125 Posts
Jeff,

Maybe start a new thread where you can post progress and questions along the way rather than just adding to Vin's thread. You also might want to get a copy of the engine rebuild manual. It has step-by-step procedures for everything you are going to do. I got mine on a CD with a bunch of other manuals from cardisc.com.
New thread has been started .... "Newbie Head Job"

Thanks, Rich

·
Registered
9 Posts
Alfa head removal

Thanks Vintre
This is very helpful. A picture is worth a million words. I printed this tread immediately. I don't really see the roll pins in the picture. Are they down flush with the o-rings? I feel a lot more confident with your step by step instructions. My big worry is not getting the timing chain in the right place but if the crank does not move and the cams are facing out I should be good. Lots of stuff to keep organized for sure.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Thanks Vintre
This is very helpful. A picture is worth a million words. I printed this tread immediately. I don't really see the roll pins in the picture. Are they down flush with the o-rings? I feel a lot more confident with your step by step instructions. My big worry is not getting the timing chain in the right place but if the crank does not move and the cams are facing out I should be good. Lots of stuff to keep organized for sure.
Glad the thread is helping.

Ya, I went back and took a look at the post with the pins. I can see that they are present, but looks like they are pressed in.

I replaced them with these pins and you can see them as well as the O ring.

I put a bit of RTV on the gasket for good measure. It looks waaaaay more in the picture than I used. I was a thin coat I swear! :grin2:

BB.jpg

IMG_3417.JPG

Setting the timing is a bit tricky, but when you understand how to set it, it becomes easy.

Not sure what year you have, but make sure to set timing at TDC before you remove the head. That means pointer on crank pulley is set. The cams pointing outward and on the marks as well as distributor pointing to 1.

Good luck!

Vin

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine is a 1987 Spider Veloce with about 60,000 miles. I just don't drive it enough. I'm up here in Canada. It will be snowing soon so that is when I plan to this work. Wow, Caulking on a head gasket. I always thought that was a big no no. I was also told to use roll pins. These look very specific. I'll make sure to ask for them.

·
Super Moderator
11,351 Posts
Because otherwise the some valves will hang out below the CC edge so you can bend the stems without much effort. You don't want to do that. Really.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #129 (Edited)
Mine is a 1987 Spider Veloce...Caulking on a head gasket. I always thought that was a big no no...
I am not 100% positive about when Alfa eliminated the oil drainback at the back of the head/block, but some head gaskets (Reinz) require sealant at the back of the heads.

Rienze gasket seal.jpg

You will see when you take the head off if needed.

I used a little for insurance :wink2:

Good luck,

Vin

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
That isnt a coolant passage at the back of the head, it is for oil drain back to the sump. Good luck
Thank you and corrected.

Too early for me to have replied. :grin2:

Vin

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes! THANK YOU! I have been reading much of this the past few nights. I will be getting a '79 and diving in myself! Best of luck coopp!

·
Registered
594 Posts
I used the double seal Viton O rings available from Spruell. I also like to use Ultra Black on most gaskets but on the head only a thin amount around the o rings, around the front cover, and a big goop on the bolts that thread up through the front cover to prevent oil leaks....

121 - 135 of 135 Posts