Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 76 alfa spider I had my radiator rebuilt recored installed it I noticed coolant leaking into 1 and 2 cylinders smoked out I know it's either head gaskets or an intake gasket number 3 and 4 cylinders are fine how do you determine if its leaking though the intake or head?

·
Registered
216 Posts
You could do a compression test. If you have lower compression values on cylinders 1 and 2 it is more than likely a head gasket. If all 4 cylinders are within 10% of each other start with the intake gasket.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
You could pressurize the radiator system and pull the front plugs and after a while see if water squirts out of a couple of the spark plug holes. The other is to pull the plugs and see which ones are discolored. Steam will make them look like new.
Intake gasket would IMHO leak out side of the head.

·
Richard Jemison
7,371 Posts
leak

Before doing anything else, re-torque the head to 70 lbft. (factory specs are too low!)

The compression test will only indicate if the firering is broached a passage to another cyl on the head surface side.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had something similar years ago and it turned out to be a pin hole in the head. Try all of the other suggestions first.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Had the same problem last October. The head gasket saturated and the fire rings in 3 & 4 cylinders broached. Nice clean plugs, and pistons, lots of steam. A compression test confirmed that the head gasket was the problem. Installed a new Reinz head gasket.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts