Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Looking for some advice. There is a rather small oil leak from the head gasket at the front of the engine in my 74 spider. Its running down onto the top of the water pump. I see that there are two bolts compressing the front part of the gasket, on either side of the block at the front. Do these need to be tightened> If so, how to gain access and what torque setting? Any other suggestions about whether something else needs to be done would be great.

Thanks

TS

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Is the leak in the center of the head or on one side ?
Fairly common for the passenger side bolt that goes up into the head to leak. It goes up into the "oily" area of the head below the chain tensioner. The other bolt goes into a blind hole.

·
Super Moderator
12,579 Posts
There is no specific torque for these bolts. They have an 8 mm coarse thread in aluminum. I have seen them stripped by over aggressive leak stoppers! On engine build, the block deck height and front cover height should be checked for match, a good Reinz gasket used, with the front chain case section and rear oil drain section of the block sealed to the gasket and head with a good sealant like Permetex Ultra Grey. DO NOT seal the WHOLE headgasket as disassembly will be a BIG issue! Just the front and rear as has been discussed in other threads.
If reasonable tightening of the two front bolts dies not stop the leak, you have two choices. Live wit it, or pull the head and replace the gasket, first checking that the block deck and front cover deck match in height.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts