Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I had the engine rebuilt a couple of years ago, and there are now two small oil leaks from the head gasket down the side of the block #1 by the rear end of the exhaust headers and #2 at the front of the engine on the passenger side above the water pump. Not much of a leak, but they are there. I have tried cold retorquing the head to 65 fp using a calibrated click wrench, following correct sequence, oiling the bolts. Doesn't seem to have made much difference. Should I worry about this? Should I try a higher torque? Is this the norm after a fairly recent rebuild in a scarcely used car? Any suggestions welcomed.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hi,
I had the engine rebuilt a couple of years ago, and there are now two small oil leaks from the head gasket down the side of the block #1 by the rear end of the exhaust headers and #2 at the front of the engine on the passenger side above the water pump. Not much of a leak, but they are there. I have tried cold retorquing the head to 65 fp using a calibrated click wrench, following correct sequence, oiling the bolts. Doesn't seem to have made much difference. Should I worry about this? Should I try a higher torque? Is this the norm after a fairly recent rebuild in a scarcely used car? Any suggestions welcomed.
#1.

Are you sure it is coming from the head gasket? Usual causes are the cam cover gasket, the rear half moons or in my case, leaking stud. I hope to have fixed it by pulling the offending stud, sealing with high temp RTV and re-setting.

Oil leak exhaust stud

#2. I don't know '74's very well, but above the water pump, passenger side would lead me to cam cover gasket, make sure the 2 nuts in front of engine for cam cover are present and tight. Does a '74 have a VVT on the passenger side? Couple of places for that to leak.

Hope this helps.

Good luck,

Vin

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Vin
Thanks for the lightening quick response. There is oil around the rearmost exhaust manifold stud, so perhaps this leak is not a head gasket leak after all. In fact, there is also a little oil staining around the next one forward as well. Followed the link to the overdrilled stud discussion, perhaps that's what's going on here. The head was machined before reassembly.

I cleaned all the oil from the front leak and will see where it reappears but I do fear that that's going to be from the head gasket.

Following up the rear leak, maybe I will pluck up the courage to have a go at removing the exhaust studs..is this a difficult thing to do? What do you suggest for sealing the studs after they are replaced?

Thanks again for the thoughts.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see that there are two additional bolts holding the head onto the block, located at the front of the engine. Is it possible that the front leak is related to these not being tight enough? Does anyone know what torque setting to use in tightening these two up?

Thanks

TS

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hey Vin

Following up the rear leak, maybe I will pluck up the courage to have a go at removing the exhaust studs..is this a difficult thing to do? What do you suggest for sealing the studs after they are replaced?

Thanks again for the thoughts.
third spider,

Was not that hard of a job. Remove the exhaust manifold, 8 nuts, double nut the offending studs out. Double nut the new studs and re attach the exhaust manifold.

I used Copper RTV from Permatex as it is made for high heat.

Good luck,

Vin

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
I see that there are two additional bolts holding the head onto the block, located at the front of the engine. Is it possible that the front leak is related to these not being tight enough? Does anyone know what torque setting to use in tightening these two up?

Thanks

TS
6 to 8 ft lbs.

Couldn't hurt to check them.

Good luck,

Vin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts