Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1974 1600 Junior
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just exploring my new-to-me 1600 Junior and have two questions: what is the little tab below the headlights? I suspect they are to adjust the lights but they are both solid and I don't want to snap anything off. (I don't have an owners manual) Also are the Carellos hard to find these days?
Secondly, were the Cibie fog lights on my car offered as a factory option ... or are they just aftermarket ones that someone added in the day? Love the look.

·
Registered
1974 1600 Junior
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could the tab be a support for a wire mesh headlight cover maybe??

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Could the tab be a support for a wire mesh headlight cover maybe??
The tab is to adjust the vertical (up or down) position of the headlamp. The purpose isn’t exactly clear but it could be vehicle loading (as Brian has brought up) or perhaps a means to adjust for foggy conditions. The adjustable buckets are still available.

·
Registered
1974 1600 Junior
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From the picture in the link you sent it looks like it pivots left and right. I’ll soak it and gently try to move it. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,901 Posts
The tab is a European thing.. If you look at the headlight door (Rim) there is a relief cut out the tab moves in... left and right and physically tilts the light up and down inside the bucket.to compensate for for passenger loading. Some of these are broken off because the swivel point freezes up from corrosion and non-use. If you have a proper owners's manual it demonstrates how it works. At 6 O'clock it is set for loads ..at 4'O'clock it is unloaded.. ..Either way they should be in the same position for both lights and forget it L and R.

·
Premium Member
1,965 Posts
Real Carello's come up from time to time and are often expensive due to their scarcity. Repros are available and pretty close to original, just missing a flute in the lens. These are available in two types, the ones that fit your car may have two mounting ears, the other type have three raised tabs that would fit US spec type buckets. +1 on the load adjuster for the headlights.

·
Registered
1974 1600 Junior
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. I was told it was a European model, being a ‘74 1600 with early style small bumpers, so the Euro adjusters makes sense.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 1970 Berlina, which is a European version delivered to Sweden, has the same tabs below the headlights. As people have pointed out, they are for adjusting the headlight angle when the car is loaded. Pretty cool detail and not something you see on a lot of cars, at least here in California. I’ve only seen one or two other cars in person with them.

·
Registered
1974 1600 Junior
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Neat. Mines from Belgium. I don’t see GTs on the street at all around here and it does draw a lot of interest.

·
Premium Member
3,155 Posts
I have them on my 1970 GTV.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts