Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just received a pair of the new heavy duty motor mounts (they have a square rubber cross-section instead of round) and found that the nuts holding the rubber to the top metal part were loose. Does anyone know the torque spec for this? If I over tighten, will it rip the rubber out?

Has anyone installed this particular kind of mount? I went with the HD version instead of the round ones with the aluminum cap. They are from spruell

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,471 Posts
Pretty much as tight as any other 8mm nut, firmly tight but not grunt tight.

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
I often manage to snug up fasteners till just after the nut strips or the bolt snaps. :(

You are wise to ask for torque values.

Too many of us (guilty!) are negligent in that regard and often pay the price with fasteners that end up too loose or too tight. Mechanical engineers sweat this stuff and we all should be more conscientious.

What say the folks at Spruell?

All the best.

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
I just received a pair of the new heavy duty motor mounts (they have a square rubber cross-section instead of round) and found that the nuts holding the rubber to the top metal part were loose. Does anyone know the torque spec for this? If I over tighten, will it rip the rubber out?
All of the other bolts/nuts for the mounts (mount to cross member and mount to engine block) are 14-18 ft-lb. I would use the same value although my manual doesn't provide a spec for the bolts you are talking about.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,471 Posts
See the nut/bolt, be the nut/bolt. Develop a good technique and it will serve you well. If you have to put a torque wrench on every fastener you might as well be a robot in a clean room and you will miss much of why we ascribe animate properties to what in reality are just inanimate objects.

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
See the nut/bolt, be the nut/bolt. Develop a good technique and it will serve you well. If you have to put a torque wrench on every fastener you might as well be a robot in a clean room and you will miss much of why we ascribe animate properties to what in reality are just inanimate objects.
Probably pretty low risk here on the motor mount, but I made a big mistake using the "by feel" method and stripped the threads of a through-hole on the aluminum block of my daily-driver BMW. Huge PITA to heli-coil that in-situ while trying to avoid the swarf going into the block.

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
its difficult enough getting an open or ring wrench on the bolts, let alone a torque wrench!
I just go by feel on anything non critical like that.....

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Tighten it down "well" but not "crazy" and squirt some locktite on it. That'll prevent it from vibrating loose which is the only thing you really would need to worry about.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, the fact that they were loose to begin with should have raised a red flag. Apparently the driver's and passenger side mounts have different bases, and are not interchangeable. Paul Spruell didn't know this so he sent me two passenger side bases. The driver's side mount didn't fit until I cut new holes in that base.

We finally broke 30F so I finished it today, but what a pain in the butt - even with webers this was an annoying job. The old mounts were so worn I could move them by hand! I tried to shake the motor (like I could with the old mounts) but just end up shaking the whole front end. I'm glad I switched them out. brrrr...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts