Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hazard Dash light Randomly Comes On???

Took the Spider out for a spin today to bed in some new brake pads and while doing some hard braking the Hazard dash light came on several times, sometimes it would come on and blink a number of times then go off other times it would come on for a little bit and not blink. I thought it was the low brake fluid light but later realize if was the hazard light

When the hazard light came on the turn indicator light did not nor was the normal relay clicking sound. I'm guessing that the tail lights were not flashing?

When I got back home I tested the hazard button and everything worked like it should.

How can the hazard light come on by itself

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Hard braking caused wiring to move/rub and connect to earth/ground.
Turn signal light wouldn't work since the hazard (4-way) light was finding a ground without using the relay circuit.

Look for loose or worn wiring: under the hood - under the dash - in the trunk.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hard braking caused wiring to move/rub and connect to earth/ground.
Turn signal light wouldn't work since the hazard (4-way) light was finding a ground without using the relay circuit.

Look for loose or worn wiring: under the hood - under the dash - in the trunk.
That could explain the white smoke that came out of the steering column the other day.

I recently pulled the knee bolster that holds the fuse box, installed a new steering column cover and steering wheel.

On the way home from having the new wheel installed a little smoke came out of the left side of steering column it stop as fast as it started and hasn't happen since so I wrote it off as nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Murray
Now you know what happens to wiring when you let the smoke out !
Yes now that some smoke has escape there's not enough smoke left in the wiring to complete the circuit. What's the best method to get the smoke back in the wire?

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Well ... they use to sell bottles of replacement smoke for LUCAS wiring ... don't know if this would work in a newer Alfa.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well ... they use to sell bottles of replacement smoke for LUCAS wiring ... don't know if this would work in a newer Alfa.
Yep that's it, 1 bottle should be just enough to do the job too..............Thanks GTD for all your help.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Up Date

Well GTD,

Figure I better pull things apart and look for the leaking wire, didn't see any but did find a melted piece of plastic.

Must have fallen in there when I was cutting off the bracket on top of the signal and wipper units. Looks like it melted across the two bottom terminals of the blinker unit.

I'm guessing but I think I found the problem?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Problem Solved

Took a test drive today (53F sunny) and continue the pads bedding in process of braking from 60mph to 20mph with no further incidents of a flashing hazard light................it's fixed!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts