Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the point where the shock is located to the engine bay under the window washer container the metal has torn right off on my 86 built GTV6.So now the shock is flapping around inside the engine bay.
I am running Beninca suspension which is stiffer than standard.
The car has 60,000 km from new and no rust.

Anyway are there any aftermarket ie race engineered shock locating mounts that are available for the GTV6 ?
And what are the points to remeber when replacing both shock mounts

Thanks John

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
I have heard of this problem when using extremely stiff shock absorbers, but have not seen it myself. I guess you could weld back the broken piece and reinforce the area. Have seen a different solution on track cars with coil over springs only(no torsion bars). There they are using a shock with upper eye hole fastening. Plain bearing(unibal,rose joint etc) in the eye hole and a bolt through and across the frame. Probably the whole area is then strengthtened.

By the way, since you are from W.A., I am trying to find Tony Ricciardello and his GTV8 chevy. You dont know him by chance?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hey John,
Don't worry about the shock mount. Any panel beater should be able to weld up the piece together. I remember accidently putting too much pressure on one of the mounts, right side I think and cracked it. Took it to a panel beater and had it welded. Good as gold. Email me : bteoh at westnet dot com dot au . How's your SA beast running
? Did you manage to get it registered in WA? Cheers, brian

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi John
What type of shock absorbers are being Used ?
In case of adjustable Konis-are those the Beninca special Valved konis or standart yellow konis ? what is ther setup ? are they turned to max stiffness ?
Do you have a picture of the erea ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts