Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at VIR and seemed to lose power going up the hill on North Course. I may have heard some noise, but I am not sure since there were other cars nearby. I was able to limp down pit lane, but the car stalled pulling into the paddock. I had it towed home.

I did turn it over a few times in the paddock. It seemed to cough and sputter, but did not sound like the timing had slipped.

This morning, we checked the compression which showed 210+ on all cylinders. We removed the timing belt cover, and timing is spot on. I also removed the front head cam cover. Although there was oil present, I am not sure that I have adequate oil pressure on the top end.

I turned the engine over with the cam cover off and didn't see as much oil pumping up as expected.

What are the chances that the oil pump failed or caused this scenario? Any ideas as to what we should check?

·
Premium Member
27,320 Posts
What kind of 164 do you have that would be helpful info - 12v or 24v V6?

If 12v V6 pull apark plugs and remove red light pressure sender under dizzy in rear of front head. Spin engine with starter and see of you get any oil out of sender hole.

If 24v remove oil pressure gauge sender in front rear of front head and try spinning engine and see if you get any oil our sender hole.

If that checks out you might want to check inside dizzy for broken rotor or failed carbon button.

If that checks out do a fuel pressure check because if you were getting on it in the turns you may have swung the fuel pump and basket assy like a pendulum and cracked short rubber fuel pressure hose inside tank cover.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts