Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got one for my birthday and I was planning on installing it on my spider this weekend. Anyone has any tricks or tips on putting one of these on??

Thanks,
Q-man
78' Spider

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Yes. Take your time, and be careful.

We planned on installing it 1/2 way, but there isn't such a thing, so make sure you get it straight...

Even a little off, it looks REALLY nice.

Eric

·
Registered
913 Posts
I have 2 cars with dashcaps. One was there when I bought the car, the other I installed. I agree with being very careful on the installation. Check the fit before getting to the glue/silicone stage. You may want to trim the dashcap a bit to get a better fit around vents or whatever. Also, you can use a heat gun to warm the dashcap a bit (BE CAREFUL NOT TO MELT IT) then reshape it around things to get a better fit. Just be sure you're absolutely satisfied with the fit before you use the stickum.

Oh, one last thing. Dashcaps crack just the same way dashes do if you leave them in the sun to bake. I now have cracks in one of mine so I've put those little fuzzy carpet-like dash covers over each of the dashcaps. I actually like the fuzzy covers better because there's no glare. However, they don't look very original.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Dash Cap

I just installed mine yesterday. Like the other guys said, check and recheck the fit before uncorking the glue! Dashboards tend to expand over the years so some trimming will be required. I had to sand down the lip on the passenger side where it slides behind the dash and windshield. A dremmel makes quick work of it. Also make sure you clean off any Armore All, etc and lightly sand the dash. I think it looks pretty good. Better than the Vinyl repair kits I tried before.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great advice, guys!! Now, have you guys tried double-sided tape instead of the glue stuff? I used the double-sided tape made by 3M for my rear spoiler on my Saab and it was solid and I did not have to drill any holes or anything.

Q-man said:
I got one for my birthday and I was planning on installing it on my spider this weekend. Anyone has any tricks or tips on putting one of these on??

Thanks,
Q-man
78' Spider

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just added a dashcap (from Centerline Alfa) to the severely cracked and worn dash on my 1986 Graduate. I think it looks decent.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I am in the process of fitting one and it does not fit anywhere near as well as the ones in the pictures show here. I had to trim .500” of the side towards the windshield (and it still needs more)and had to open up the vents about .250” just to get the vents to fit in. Granted mine is on an older spider (73).

I also noticed that the fit around the center gauge opening fits better on the ones shown in the pictures. I am going to try a heat gun and see if I can mold mine to fit a little better.

So apparently the Centerline ones are better than the one I got, or you guys are really good at fitting them. I will post some pictures if I can get mine to fit decently.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
do they make a dash cap for S4 spiders?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Mine is held in by gravity and prayer... no glue, etc.

I found it on a car in a local yard and bought it for $4.00.

Best $4.00 I ever spent!
Looks great!

-Raffi

·
Registered
218 Posts
do they make a dash cap for S4 spiders?
Yes, I got one for my '91 two years ago.
One note no one mentioned-don't 'smear' the glue on, put it on in beads-allows a better hold and fit over time. As mentioned, they shrink and expand in summer heat and winter cold, making them tend to warp over time if not 'float' glued in beads. I may have to do over mine.....stubbornly did not bead the glue.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Yes, I got one for my '91 two years ago.
One note no one mentioned-don't 'smear' the glue on, put it on in beads-allows a better hold and fit over time. As mentioned, they shrink and expand in summer heat and winter cold, making them tend to warp over time if not 'float' glued in beads. I may have to do over mine.....stubbornly did not bead the glue.
can you post a pic?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Mine is held in by gravity and prayer... no glue, etc.

I found it on a car in a local yard and bought it for $4.00.

Best $4.00 I ever spent!
Looks great!

-Raffi
Quite a deal!

The one on my GTV is held by gravity and the instrument pod, but the right side is starting to warp from the heat. Still time to glue it in place...

·
Registered
43 Posts
I purchased this dashcap from IAP for my 1988 and was getting around to installing it when I discovered that it does not fit correctly around the center vent. Other dashcaps here from Centerline seem to have a better fit.

Anyone have any luck heating, cutting and molding the cap?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,297 Posts
I have an IAP cap on my 79 spider. I had to do quite a bit of trimming to make it fit properly. But it was worth it. It looks pretty good.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I just added a dashcap (from Centerline Alfa) to the severely cracked and worn dash on my 1986 Graduate. I think it looks decent.

Can you please post a pic after the restoration of how it looks with the new dash.

Thanks.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Does one need to remove the dash in order to put the cap on?

Thanks!

Ri

·
Premium Member
3,730 Posts
Does one need to remove the dash in order to put the cap on?

Thanks!

Ri
No, like Tifosi said.

I had to use a Dremel and remove the lip closest to the engine to make it fit.

If your dash is cracked, its a big improvement.

Good luck,

Vin

1 - 20 of 20 Posts