Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need to ship an Alfa from Florida to Tennessee and am researching shipping options. I've been amazed at the complete lack of response from the majority of the companies that I have applied for online quotes from. the only company that has gotten back to me so far is High End Transport... However, it's not cheap. $1150 to ship enclosed. I am willing to pay a bit extra for great service, but I sure was hoping that the shipping would be less. Anyone up here used H.E.T. with any success? Anyone have any other recommendations? Thanks in advance-

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
I'm Surprised at the Lack of Replys

When I went on-line for quotes for shipping a non-running 164 from Washington state to Wisconsin, I was unindated with e-mails and calls from various trucking companies. I think I paid about $750 in an open truck.

I don't have any personal experience with the shipper that contacted you. Be aware that most of these companies subcontract the actual shipping to independent truckers. The one I picked last time told me they use their own trucks, but mine arrived on an independent truck. Not that that's necessarily bad, but I have had problems on other shipments when the trucker called the owner and told him he needed to drive the car to the airport in SF, because he would not drive into the city, even through the deal was for door to door transport. The seller called me on a weekend wondering what was going on, and I couldn't get in touch with my shipper. Eventually everything worked out, but it was a hassell.

I think that the higher end shippers with enclosed trailers mostly use their own trucks, but I had a friend pay for enclosed shipment of a Cobra replica, and it arrived very dirty???.

So ask lots of questions, particularly in regard to whether your car will ship on their trucks or not.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Tom. Yeah, I was surprised, as well. I triple-checked my spam folders to see if I missed them there, but I'll just go ahead and call the companies and try to 'interview' them over the phone. I guess if $750 is a going rate for an open truck, then $1150 might be typical for enclosed. I have a feeling I might be hard-pressed to find enclosed for less than a grand....

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Demoise Trk-ing

I use these guys exclusively to ship cars for my employer, & I've never had a problem. DeMoise Trk-ing, Inc. - Home I'm not sure whether or not they can do any better for you price-wise.

Regardless of who you use, I've been advised to seek out an owner/operator versus an outfit that brokers to independent haulers, & that's what I've always done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts