Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Restoring a 72 GTV with rust in the tank(the sender is also in poor shape). What techniques or stuff do you use to clean out a tank. I've heard some radiator shops will boil them out,,,,,anyone with experience??

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Cleaning

I just went thru that ordeal. I had it cleaned twice but it was just TOO rust in it. I finally took it to a radiator shop where they open it and put some special coating. I think you might as well do this once and do it right. I was left on the road with a clogged fuel pump, then fuel line, then carburetor filter...........

It is just not worth it! Go and do it right. I am supposed to pick up mine tomorrow!! I'll let you know how it turns.

Eliseo Carrillo

·
Registered
642 Posts
When I was restoring my Duetto I had the tank out to get the car painted. I had my dad take it to a shop near to him that did the RENU process. Basically they split the tank, cleaned it and burned off the varnish, repaired the pinholes I didn't know it had, coated the inside and baked it on, put the tank back together and coated the outside and baked it on.

ZERO problems.

Cost about $250 if I remember right.

The shop was a radiator shop too.

Good luck !

Dan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts