Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
I bought the XM module for my radio that is in my 164S but I have not put it in yet. What do you think about the service? Worth the time/money, or not?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Xm

I have XM in my truck and my wife has it in her Corrolla-She loves hers, as she listens to the Baseball channel all the time(More than I do), whichis why we got it in the 1st place- I like it and seldom listen to regular radio any more- had them installed at the now defunct Circuit city by a guy who was very good and not $$$$-If I had been 30 or younger I would have dome it myself, but not wi the degree of expertise this guy had-

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Larry, just as adenzeno comments regarding his wife needing her Baseball fix, I believe that is how one has to decide whether XM is worth it or not. Are there enough stations on XM for you to make it worth the cost and hassle of installing the unit? In my case I listen to classical music through both my office/living room and shop speakers from the time I get up until dinner/TV time. There is one classical music station in the LA area. A very good one except they play almost nothing but ghastly opera on Saturdays and Sunday evening, along with pledge drives four times a year. In my case I happily pay (?) $14 (?) a month not to hear opera (it has it's own station on XM).

I bought my car XM receiver a year ago and just got around to installing it (the second one is $9 / mo. additional). My problem is when it is on and the engine running I'm having a whining noise which is either caused by the alternator or the coil, or both. Also, the signal cuts out when I'm in the car - both of which rather defeat its purpose. Reading the 30 page Delphi Roady XT manual (downloaded from the Internet) I gather I need to relocate my antenna. I'm also working on the whining problem.

Regarding the latter, definitely place the antenna where you want it, but check out that your XM receiver agrees. The miniscule diameter antenna wire is completely buried under carpet, so will be a hassle to move. Once you get your receiver installed, by going to XM's channel one, you will get a signal from them telling you to register / sign up. Leave it there with the radio on and call XM.15 to 20 minutes later you'll be hooked up / get the signal. Umm, if you're using a cell phone, first make sure its battery is recharged.

I've been hoping someone would reply here who has installed XM in their car and has had the same problems that I'm having - and of course have solved them.

Biba

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
We have XM in the p/u truck and the Acura. We listen to our favorite stations as we travel up and down California and out of state. It was a lifesaver to me to have when I went to Oklahoma. I got the news and my favorite bluegrass/country stations with out interruptions, or faded signals. To the wife and I it is worth every penny.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts