Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
auto-rx.com

Ive been reading about this product to clean sludge out of higher mileage engines. anyone heard of or used it ?

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
IMO, a sludged up motor has to be taken apart to de-sludge. Once you start putting de-sludge ***t in, all it's gunna do is loosen something up and it's gunna get lodged in something it's not ment to get lodged in - an oil passage. All I would do other than a disassemble, is run something like a diesel oil (Delo or Rotella), run it up and dump it. Do that for about 3x in something like a 500 mile span.

·
Premium Member
9,804 Posts
auto-rx.com

Ive been reading about this product to clean sludge out of higher mileage engines. anyone heard of or used it ?
Not with today's oils. You won't see much to any sludge in this motor and I do not recommend additives to motor oil. They are banking on old terms and technology.

Just use something Castrol syntec or semi synthetic and change often and no sludge should ever be an issue. I have pulled apart a few of these motors and none of them had sludge even with 150K on the clock.

Good oil, change 3K-5K depending on oil used, good filter (OEM preferred).

I also agree with the above to run a oil as mentioned or even a good synthetic for a few thousand and drain it and add new with filter and go regular interval. That should clean it right up, I also hope you know about the Italian tune-up?

Jason

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I put my reply in based on the assumption that he knew the motor was sludged. A properly maintained motor with regular oil and filter changes shouldn't get sludged up. OTOH, some engines (other than an Alfa) have design flaws and will get sludged up even with periodic O&F changes. I know certain late model Dodge and Toyota engines have issues. I think the problem is caused by extended (7,500 mile) intervals between changes as suggested by some manufacturers. Short trip driving and extended O&F changes are a certain recipie for diaster. You can't go wrong with the old 3 mo/3,000 mile whichever is first rule. That can be extended "somewhat" for syn oils.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Judging from the receipts I got when I purchased my 164l, her oil has always been changed and maintained. i just changed her with syntec 10w-40 3 weeks ago. I was reading about this stuff on one of the nissan forums. I did run seafoam thru her the first week I had her and that did make a difference in Idle smoothness and power. Ive used seafoam in many vehicles with great success.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I have used Auto-RX extensively. It is a great product. I currently have it in my 164Q for a single dose. Must be used with conventional (non-synthetic) motor oil. Then you can switch back to synthetic when done.

I agree that very thick, heavy sludge should be mechanically removed and dissolved away. Then oil passages cleaned with long brushes and oil pan removed and everything underneath cleaned. After doing this, Auto-RX can help remove the final remaining sludge. I went through this process with my 2001 BMW 740iL.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I heard this is great stuff too:rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,804 Posts
I have used Auto-RX extensively. It is a great product. I currently have it in my 164Q for a single dose. Must be used with conventional (non-synthetic) motor oil. Then you can switch back to synthetic when done.

Here is some good info I found, whether or not true not sure. I have used synthetic for most of the alfa's life and pulled the motor last summer and found no sign of any sludge at all. Even the oil pan was spotless. Little varnish but no sludge.

Second Opinion: Oil Sludge: an expensive but preventable disaster

Personally I change mine around 3-4K even with synthetic due to our dusty environment always high quality oil and OEM filters on all my cars, even my 2000 VR6 Jetta which seems to suffer from this.

Jason

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,745 Posts
Be careful with that stuff. I have a buddy who killed his Miata doing an engine sludge treatment. If there's significant sludge in the engine, the flush can break it all loose and then plug the oil pick-up and lines (which is exactly what happened to him).

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Be careful with that stuff. I have a buddy who killed his Miata doing an engine sludge treatment. If there's significant sludge in the engine, the flush can break it all loose and then plug the oil pick-up and lines ..........
:rolleyes:that's what I said earlier;). :pto all those who think I don't know what I'm talking about:D

·
Premium Member
16,074 Posts
Same thing happened to a well used Honda engine from the old days of non detergent oils, owned by a friend of mine. Sludge came loose and the oil pickup got clogged. Burned the bearings out.

Modern oils contain decent detergents to keep the sludge particles in suspension to be removed by the filter and the occasional oil change. That's why oil turns black in a hurry in an engine. It's just doing it's job. Based on my four decade experience with Alfas, compared to what we used to see with the older oils, engines now don't collect sludge worth talking about because of modern oils.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Jason,
Seems to me I remember you posting several times that you changed your synthetic oil at 10,000 miles. Why have you started changing at 3-4,000?

·
Premium Member
9,804 Posts
Jason,
Seems to me I remember you posting several times that you changed your synthetic oil at 10,000 miles. Why have you started changing at 3-4,000?
Yup. I use to do that but have decided due to conditions in Arizona to move it back to around 3-4 but most of the time I get a bit lazy and go to 5-7K. I always recommend to do what the factory says (which is 10K) to do but some can run longer intervals on these cars with synthetic for sure. I have done it, it's whole life. Oil is still really clean when I drained it at these intervals. But then again it is not a daily driver.
So due to more sitting, hotter and dusty conditions I have personally adjusted the interval even with synthetic to a lower one, thats all.
I use to go 10K with a filter change at 5K and a liter of oil.
But you can do what you feel works for you.
I also change my air filter more often as well, not the recommended 30K, more like half that time all this based on the nasty conditions here.
:)

Jason

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
3 months/3000 miles intervals?? What kind of useless oils are you using over there anyway? :eek:
Sounds like a good way to burn money IMO.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
There's nothing like some good ol' sludge.
That looks like a VW engine. I know that the Newer Volvos will sludge unless the oil is changed at 5K intervals. The factory specified 7500 miles. Toyota Has replaced many engines that have sludged. I think that it's the design d the engine.
I have never seen a car that keeps engine oil cleaner than an Alfa V-6 in proper tune.
When the 164 was running right I I would check the oil and almost panic because for a split second you couldn't see the oil on the stick because it was so clear.
I would leave the engine flush stuff alone.
If there is a problem there is a problem and the damage has been done.

Paul

·
Registered
776 Posts
That does look like a 1.8T. I think I recognize the oil pump pick up and screen that I had to replace on my wife's Passat. POS!

Mats is right, the 3,000mi thing is ridiculous. How do people listen to the oil manufacturer over the engine builder? I think that here in the US, advertising has hammered away hard at the 3,000mi mantra over the years. It seems to be gospel.

My preference is ~5,000mi changes for the Passat. It uses Castrol Syntec. My WRX's mileage is long commute-type, but still, it gets 5kmi changes (some hard turbo work is mixed in). It uses 'standard' Mobil 1. The GTV6 never even gets to 3,000mi in a year (esp nowadays!), so it is changed seasonally. Also uses Mobil 1. Filters all tend to come from NAPA: their Gold filter is a pretty well made WIX item.

And never, never let the quickie-lube change your oil. Too many of those guys are paid to be fast, not smart. When the compression washer falls on the floor, they don't have time to reach down and pick it up.

As for Auto-RX: I wouldn't touch the stuff. The risks are huge. They must have good lawyers.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Common change intervals here on newer cars are 20 000 Km or ~12 000 Miles.
You do follow the manufacturer recommendation on oil, right? Sludge in new cars, sounds very strange. Maybe the specs (on the oils) are different on the US market?

·
Registered
776 Posts
Mats,

There are some cases lately of engines sludging, despite owners following the manufacturers' advice.

Toyota is the latest I have heard of.

The VW 1.8T engine was somewhat notorious; in 2001(?iirc) VW actually revised their oil weight spec and enlarged the oil filter to increase capacity. It took a while, but VW have been replacing engines that have had regular oil changes with the correct oil spec.

Dave

1 - 20 of 26 Posts