Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well just picked up a hard top today I purchased on Eba. Fairly good condition for the $250.00 I spent on it. Although I like the style of the Quad hard tops I think this one looks better on the 79 Spider I have. It if a fiberglass aftermarket top made on PA. Just need to install a liner and replace some of the rubber trim.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hey guys, nice to see a few more people into hard tops. I've been after a hard top (Quad type) for some time. Problem is that I live in Australia and not too many vendors are interested in shipping to the land of Oz.

Any ideas on who or how I could get to ship it out even if I do find one.

·
Registered
97 Posts
If people do not like the hardtops then why do they sell for so much money? I have a newly acquired 1991 Spider Veloce automatic and I would like to have a hardtop for the car. The ones I have seen are always $500 to a $1000 and then I have to pay the shipping if the seller is willing to ship. Since my car is a bright white it would be nice to find one in the same color. Seems all the ones I see FS are always red.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They sell for so much money because not too many are around. You can buy a new one from smoothline.com and they ship, but no prices are listed so I can imagine them to be pricey.

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
People have a love/hate relationship with the hard tops. Since the '88 has become my daily driver, I have though of putting the hard top on for the winter. However, the forecast for today and tomorrow here is a high of around 77F.

Plus, the spiders have good heaters.

·
Registered
165 Posts
You could well be right about the love/hate relationship of the hard top.
Seems that those that have them don't use them or want them and possibly just have them because they came with the car.

Those that don't have them just want them to complete the car with that factory extra. They don't seem to make the car more valuable or desirable on a sale.

Maybe its a case of if you hav'nt got it you think you need it until you get it. Then you can't be bothered fitting it so it just sits around collecting dust always in the way and possibly getting damaged.

Still, I wouldn't mind getting one and experiencing it for a spell.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I see my spider sitting in the Garage over the cold winters in PA I long for a quick ride some sunny weekend. The HT adds a little warmth to the drive

·
Registered
460 Posts
You could well be right about the love/hate relationship of the hard top.
Seems that those that have them don't use them or want them and possibly just have them because they came with the car.

Those that don't have them just want them to complete the car with that factory extra. They don't seem to make the car more valuable or desirable on a sale.

Maybe its a case of if you hav'nt got it you think you need it until you get it. Then you can't be bothered fitting it so it just sits around collecting dust always in the way and possibly getting damaged.

Still, I wouldn't mind getting one and experiencing it for a spell.

Pet Peeve of mine: Owners of Quads that sell their hard top "because they don't need them". granted it's your car and you can sell any piece of it you want. Or worse yet, sell the quad and hardtop on eBay SEPARATELY!!!!

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Pet Peeve of mine: Owners of Quads that sell their hard top "because they don't need them". granted it's your car and you can sell any piece of it you want. Or worse yet, sell the quad and hardtop on eBay SEPARATELY!!!!
Since the hard top was standard in the Quad (there was no option to acquire one without the hard top), as well as a distinctive feature designed to go with its overall look, it was a big reason for the much higher price, compared to the other Spider versions. Hence, a Quad is "incomplete" without a hard top. (I'm not the only one who thinks this, as it is one criteria that is applied when judging cars.) An incomplete Quad should always be worth a lot less than a complete car, and the missing hard top is also an indication that the car went through the hands of someone who really didn't take good care of it, be it their fault or be it because they just weren't in a position to do so, but acquired the car anyway...

A hard top, in a car that didn't originally come with one, is always a nice plus, IMO.

Best regards,

·
Registered
429 Posts
I totally agree that the the Quad is incomplete without one...and whichever one of you Veloce/Graduate owning bastards is driving around with my hardtop on your car, kindly give it back (j/k).:D

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
i agree - it is always a nice plus to have a hard top if it didnt come with the car - hopefully i will have the space for one someday.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
If people do not like the hardtops then why do they sell for so much money? I have a newly acquired 1991 Spider Veloce automatic and I would like to have a hardtop for the car. The ones I have seen are always $500 to a $1000 and then I have to pay the shipping if the seller is willing to ship. Since my car is a bright white it would be nice to find one in the same color. Seems all the ones I see FS are always red.
unless you get lucky - you will prob have to buy one and just get it repainted like what i would have to do.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
unless you get lucky - you will prob have to buy one and just get it repainted like what i would have to do.
There are only a set number of hard tops, and regardless of those who don't want one, supply in the secondary market has never even come close to meeting demand. Furthermore, the tops were very expensive to order as an option. I have seen several hard tops in green, and at least one in white, so perhaps both of you may be able to find one in the future...

Best regards,

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Now that I have the top, replacing the rubber may be expensive. The cost of both sides and the rear will be close to $150 if I get it from the manufacturer. Nooed to find a place that sells the extrusuin seal by the foot. Any alfisti with a source?

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Hard Top

I love hard tops on roadsters. Many years ago I had a 1959 Guiletta Veloce and had a hard top for it. It was a factory top and was steel. Anybody ever seen one? Now I have a 1990 Miata and have a hard top for it, been through several just waiting to get one in a matching color (Red) Had a white one for a few years until I could find the right color. Warmer in winter, more secure and quieter on long road trips, very easy to get on and off. For the person who was wondering about storage, I use a hoist and hang it from the ceiling in the garage.
I did buy a Quad parts car primarily for the hardtop which I want to put on my '84 Veloce. I just need to get some new rubber seals. Anybody know where I can get factory repacement seals for a hardtop?
Ray Kiszely
'84 Spider Veloce, the driver
'87 Spider Quad (to the crusher today)
'80 Spider Veloce, parting out

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Now that I have the top, replacing the rubber may be expensive. The cost of both sides and the rear will be close to $150 if I get it from the manufacturer. Nooed to find a place that sells the extrusuin seal by the foot. Any alfisti with a source?
Trust me, a "cheaper" source is not worth looking for if you can source this for $150... The fit is just too important to achieve an adequate seal...

... Anybody know where I can get factory repacement seals for a hardtop? ...
I don't know who others are using, but I would start with DiFatta or the Alfa Parts Catalog.

Best regards,

·
Registered
520 Posts
the only place ive found any seals for factory OE hardtops is reoriginals. theyre out of stock on all but the vertical sides.

i recently had a session with brad from ARricambi . he had never had one to analyze, but he says he can get some of this stuff from the original source in italy, so he did a bunch of measurements and profile drawings.

all of my rubber is good so far except for the ridge-rubber along the very bottom edge of the top. it wears into my paintjob .

1 - 20 of 29 Posts