Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the original Touring hardtop that is in good condition. However the thin chromed plastic trim strips on the windowlining or rainstrip are gone over the years.

Does anyone know a source of this material sothat I can bend new ones.
Or should they be molded ?

·
Push hard and live
11,490 Posts
Karel,

If you get a good solution, please post it. I have the identical issue facing me in my restoration.

Thanks,

Don

·
Registered
301 Posts
My original 2600 hardtop has chrome plated brass trim over the side window rain gutters and across the leading edge of the top above the windshield. I think these trim pieces are extruded brass. The piece over the windshield has several small threaded studs braze-welded to it which are used to bolt it to the top. I do not know where you could find this material. I may be able to post some pictures of the top with the trim installed, but I have no pictures of the trim showing the profile. If you think the pictures would help, let me know and I will try to learn how to post them.
Larry

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Larry,

Thank you for your kind answer and help. I am sure the trim originally was plastic since I got this top 40 years ago with this trim from the first owner, my brother in law. I hope that this judge reads my reply and agrees.
On the other hand I think that making replacements in brass maybe easier than warm bending a plastic profile.
But maybe some other reader has a suggestion.
I would love to receive your pictures to see how it is arranged on your top.

Is your car blue ? What kind of blue is it exactly ?

Best regards

Karel

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Hi - I have the original Touring hardtop in poor condition which I plan to restore

The trim is chromed brass exactly as Ibo48 Larry describes - It looks to me like a simple D section which has been bent to fit I am sure something of the same section could be obtained.

Also if anyone could possible post a photo of three rear mountings on the hardtop which push under the chromed mountings on the body. On my Hardtop these have rusted away to nothing and I need to see how to rebuild them

Posting pictures should be easy - you have to be logged in as a member , then go to managing attachments lower down on the new posting page, browse and upload

Thanks

Ian

Attachments

·
Registered
301 Posts
Alfa 2600 hardtop trim and mounting points

Please forgive the poor quality of these pictures. My hardtop is covered and suspended from the ceiling, and without mounting it on the car, this is the best I can do. One of the pictures is from several years ago with the top mounted on the car. The rear mounting point at the center is just a notch where the chrome hook on the body fits, and the side mounts are simple steel tabs that slide under the chrome hooks. The chrome trim on the rain gutters is a "J" shape and is fastened with two exposed sheet-metal screws, one at the front and the other near the bottom of the trim at the rear of the window opening. I hope you can see this in the photos. The trim at the leading edge of the top (over the windscreen) is a simple "C" shape if I remember correctly and it is mounted with about ten studs that go through holes in the top and fastened with small, very thin nuts, which are hidden by the rubber seal. The orange colored square steel tubing is part of the bracket for hoisting the top.
Larry

Attachments

·
Registered
301 Posts
Alfa 2600 hardtop trim and mounting points

Apparently, one of my pictures failed to upload, so I will try again.
Larry

Attachments

·
Registered
301 Posts
Karel, my car is blue, but it is not an Alfa color. I had it mixed, but it is not as dark as I had hoped. It is Ditzler acrylic lacquer (non-metalic).
Larry

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Larry,
I can distinguish the colour better now from the larger pictures. On your log or avatar it seemed a darker colour to me.
Mine is an official Alfa colour from that era and it is called blu olandese. It is said to be a colour that was only allowed by Alfa on cars for direct export to the Netherlands.
The not too dark blue colour combines very nicely with the chrome and stainless trim.

I will see friends with a very well equipped industrial sheet metal shop and find out if they can bend this trim profile from a brass strip of 10x2mm.
Regards, Karel

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
Mine is an official Alfa colour from that era and it is called blu olandese. It is said to be a colour that was only allowed by Alfa on cars for direct export to the Netherlands.
The not too dark blue colour combines very nicely with the chrome and stainless trim.
I don;t know of any records that would indicate Blu Ollandese would have been an original color on Touring cars -- which does not mean much as earlier discussions about Grigio Alba have proved.

Karel, did the Centro Documentazione Alfa Romeo confirm to you that this was the original color?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ruedi,
I have never bothered to ask the Centro.
Blu Ollandese is fairly popular in this country, the colour is also referred to as AR343.
There are always Supers and Giuliettas offered or discussed here in this colour. There are not too many original Dutch 2600's around. Bear in mind that in the sixties people here bought Fiats and VW's with 1100 and 1200 cc engines, and Renaults with 1000cc.
2600 cc displacement was considered huge.
Did I tell you I am Dutch ?
I have checked on the website of the Centro and see if I can obtain this colour confirmation.
Regards
Karel

1 - 12 of 12 Posts