Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spring has sprung here in D.C. actually, we had one week, now its summer and 88 degrees out, but I digress. I posted a question looking for a good storage device and folks were kind enough to send links for Miata hard top carriers as well as Mercedes. Both were pretty stinking expensive, especially the Merc one, north of 200 bucks.

For others looking for this type of storage solution save your pennies. I went to Home Depot (actually Lowes) and for less than 50 bucks made a very nice PVC version that works quite well. Will post pictures as soon as my son comes over and helps me lift off the top and place it on the carrier.

It is comprised of 10 "T" connectors (2 bags of 5) 6 elbows, and 4 one inch PVC pipes (they came in 10 foot lengths). 4 Dolly wheels and you are good to go. I will post the dimensions once the entire fixture is finalized. Originally, I was going to use the PVC cement, but in a moment of brilliance I decided to just use sheet metal screws. This way the entire structure can be disassembled next winter and stored in the trunk!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I like this, I look forward to the pics and dimensions. Mine is sitting unceremoniously up against the garage wall.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll post a pic of the interim product later today and you will see it's not rocket science to pull one together. Once my son assists me I will finalize the dimensions and post the results. I was somewhat amazed that even springing for expensive dolly caster wheels the total price was 44 bucks.

KKKKFL

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are the measurements I promised:

Across the front make pipes 41" from the pictures you will see that there are 4 cross wise pipes. One in front elbows up 10" (then across 41" - 1) then there's the front one bottom front 41
" across -thats #2) there's the bottom back that's 20" back 41" across- 3) then across then the back the 41" - #4 is cut into 3 pieces 11" in T's upward 52"s up then across 16 " down into another T and back across with the total length being the 41"s. I put little stubs out the back to take the wheels.

Don't skimp on the dolly wheels cost get good ones so it will roll easily.

Hard to see the upper front across

Here you see the back most cut into 3 sections with the riser

Piece of cake.

KKKKFL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts