Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well we just got my friends 78 alfa spider to run after a 2 month storing
well after taking it for a spin i noticed that it is way easier to steer than my 74 spiden at low speeds ex coming out of parking .... before i thought all older spiders were like this but now i noticed that mine is exageretly hard to steer and i always hear this clicking noise when i steer even at high speeds.
the clicking sounds exactly like when you remove the key and the steering wheel locks. what could it be is it just a year diference or something else... how could i fix it or soften it a bit?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Lower ball joints OK? I had mine replaced at an UNreputable alfa shop two tears ago with (allegedly) new ones. These look worse that the old ones they replaced. the rubber is completely shot and dry.

Someone please chime in regarding the brand to get next.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Well that isn't too extreme - are they wider than the Spider you were comparing with? I have just fitted 185s on my 1968 Spider and I noticed the increase in low speed turning effort compared to the 165s that they replaced.

·
Banned
129 Posts
Could be several things. Tire size/inflation pressure, steering box/tie rods/balljoints condition/lubrication, castor setting, or any combination of those factors.

·
Administrator
17,247 Posts
Our '84 Spider seemed hard top steer when I first resurrected it (it hadn't been run in a couple of years). Never having driven a Spider before I wasn't sure how it was supposed to handle.

A front end alignment helped some. And all the suspension parts appeared to be good.

One day I had the center tie rod off to do some engine or transmission work and discovered that the idler unit (opposite the steering box) was very stiff. I had a replacement in the box 'o parts the PO gave me with the car and the replacement was very smooth to move. I swapped them out and that made an amazing difference. (The old one took two hands to move. The new one would move with one finger.)

BTW, our car has 205 or 215/55 X 15" tires. Handling is smooth and light.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Check the gearbox for oil level. Does anyone know if these boxes have worm gears??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts