Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It always takes me a while to fill up my fuel tank. I'll begin fueling and in just a few seconds, the pump stops as if the tank is already full.

I have to pump fuel without completely inserting the nozzle completely in the fuel filler neck. Why is that? Vapor lock? Does this happen to anyone else?

Needless to say it's pretty irritating, especially because the fuel gauge doesn't work too well.

'75 converted to Carbs (40mm Dell'ortos)

Thanx!

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Presuming your neck to tank hose isn't all kinked up for some reason, then it's kinda due to the curves that takes and the amount of pressure the pump is putting out.

More pressure + curves = splashback causing the pump handle to 'kick off'

Having the 'unleaded fuel only' type filler neck amplifies that as while there's splashing, there's also less air being allowed to escape through the smaller neck hole.

Have you tried like turning the handle in different directions other than straight in?

I've found on mine, where the pump push out a lot of gas at once (a 'fast fill' pump if you will) if I turn the handle kinda toward the back, but not quite horizontal, it seems to let things flow a bit better with less stops.

Of course if you've got those 'vapor recovery' type sleeves over the nozzle, you could go with the motorcycle trick: put the neck in and pull the sleeve back with your hand to allow more airflow around the nozzle.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have a Series 4 with the same problem. Hold the pump upside down. If that doesn't work rotate it to another position, etc. You should find a spot that allows you to pump without problems. That said, if the station at which you are filling up has high pressure, there may not be any position that will allow uninterrupted flow.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
My '71 does it, too. I have found that I sometimes have better luck at different gas stations, or even at a different pump at the same station. I suspect that over the years, with more stringent environmental regulations, they've set the shut-off to be rather more sensitive than it used to be.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
This is common for all Spiders... As suggested in the previous posts, just find a different position, and when using a high flow pump you may consider pumping a tad slower...

Best regards,

·
Registered
520 Posts
try pulling it out as far as it will let you before pumping. (after its locked in)

i also never have this issue at Chevron stations, and il mio principessa tipiace le Techron.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was actually able to fill up w/out any major "hiccups" the other day. I think it definitely had something to do w/ the pump pressure that someone previously mentioned. Thanx for your suggestions!

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
common problem, i just accept it as a characteristic of owning an alfa.

even at full service gas stations i have to do it myself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts