Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
You will need to order the Gates 5/16" Submersible fuel line (I have a part number in a thread somewhere). It has fuel proof rubber compound on the inside and outside. I scored some from my local O'Reilly's Auto Parts. They had to order it for me though. My original section of cloth covered hose looked fine (you can't really tell when it's cloth covered). Any little cracks in it though will cause loss of fuel pressure so it doesn't even have to be truly split. When I took mine off, it didn't really look too bad. When that little section of hose was left to dry out of its gasoline over a few days after it's removal, it shrunk up into a hose made of stone and then you could really see how old and bad it was. My car started so much better after it's replacement. DO consider replacing the fuel pump while you are there, because you WILL NOT want to do this again. The pump assembly it NOT easy to get out and you will not enjoy the fumes. DO take precautions, like wearing a vapor mask if you like your lungs (a one time use mask is worth the minimal cost). Working in the trunk is not fun either. I would have spare parts on hand before removing the screws to the pump assembly (or it will have to sit there smelling very strongly for several days while you wait for parts, that may be hard to find). Order a rubber pump mount, plastic basket (in case you break it trying to getting it out), rubber pad for the bottom of the basket, a new fuel pump, I would even get a new check valve. Do all this and never touch that stuff again. It is the single most important thing to get accomplished (besides the timing belt of course) for many more years of reliable service from your 164, IMHO. You will feel a difference from the seat of your pants as well. :D
Charles

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.