Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 1991 164L has been worked on in the last couple weeks, new timing belt, waterpump, and all the while I'm in there stuff. Now the car has more heat than before, and LA has been hot lately. Anyway, the car sat all day after arriving to work. Got out from work and it had a hard start, sputtered and died. Started it again with a little help from my foot on the gas pedal, and off I went. Gas was low, so i refueled in case that was the problem, I did notice the lack of air hissing out when I unscrewed the gas cap. Car started up after a 4 sec crank, and went to dinner, came out and it took a few cranks for it to start. Got home, got online, went out again and it had a hard start. I unscrewed the gas cap and this time I did hear a hiss, just not as strong to what I'm used to. I pulled the relay, jumpered 30, and 87, and it kinda started right up, reinstalled the relay, and it started within 4 secs of cranking(normal), took the relay out, installed the jumper and it took 4 secs to start up. The relay was very hot if that helps. What do guys think?

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
fuel filter/pressure? ciao, jc

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
I would check the fuel pressure and leak-down rate.

Also, has the in-tank connector hose from the fuel pump to the tank flange ever been changed?

Fuel filter been changed?

A hot relay is a concern. I'd sub in another relay and see if you get same heat buildup. If so, then wiring resistance to the fuel pump and current draw of the fuel pump itself.

These cars are approaching 25 years old now. Evap system hose and fuel hoses don't last forever.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ive never replaced any fuel components except fuel hoses in the engine bay. Okay, I gotta calm down and start trying to figure it out. Thanks Guys. I do believe its a pressure issue. It seems to start up nicely if I start it immediately after I shut it off. Its losing pressure rather quick so it could be a combo of things.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Go to the hardware store and get a 0-100# pressure gage. They are for water, but are safe to use on gas if they have a copper Bourdon tube, most do.
Put it temporarily in the fuel line at the fuel rail. Start the car let it run for a few minutes and shut it off. The gage should go upto around 45#. Watch to see how quickly the pressure drops off. That will tell you if the hose on the fuel pump in the tank is leaking.

Another thing to check is to pull the vacuum line off the fuel pressure regulator and see if you get gas out the vacuum side indicating a bad regulator.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, problem solved. The short hose was the original, and it was in need of replacing. No gauges, just figured I should check it anyway, and changed the fuel filter too. Now she's starting right up.

·
Premium Member
15,845 Posts
Always :thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts