Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently rebuilt my 1990 Alfa Spider Quad. Had to work on brakes as well. Replaced Master Cyl, Brake Booster and rebuilt all calipers and proportioning valve as well. Brakes went from super soft and not working to hard. Have driven car to break in but still having problems. When I press on the brakes they feel fine at first but if I have to press on them right away...not touching the accelerator the brake pedal gets very hard making it difficult to stop. Have already tested everything including replacing brake booster hose....and yes brake booster is holding a vacuum and tested booster valve. All I can assume is the one of the calipers might have a stuck piston but unable to determine which one did "wheel drag Test as well" I am very experienced mechanic just can't seem to find the "gremlin" in the brake system.
Any one have any ideas?

·
Premium Member
14,000 Posts
To check the booster: with the engine stopped pump the brake pedal and hold it down. Then start the motor. The pedal should go down some more if the booster is working.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ghnl,

Thanks for reply but hoping for ideas above the typical. Everything has been tested and all is working.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alfaparticle

Thanks for reply but hoping for ideas above the typical. Everything has been tested and all working.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Recently rebuilt my 1990 Alfa Spider Quad. Had to work on brakes as well. Rep.. When I press on the brakes they feel fine at first but if I have to press on them right away...not touching the accelerator the brake pedal gets very hard making it difficult to stop...
This is sort of difficult to understand. Do you mean the pedal gets very firm? Travel reduced? Hard to push? Or that you have to push hard?

Be clear and you shall receive good advice.

And don't say this again: "Everything has been tested and all working."

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tom,

Booster is new and old one was ok...not 100% but ok. Going to check actual vacuum with gauge see i have enough...don't think that's the problem though. Might need to crack open the calipers again.

·
Premium Member
14,000 Posts
Glazed or contaminated brake pads will give you a hard pedal.

·
Premium Member
14,000 Posts
Going to check actual vacuum with gauge see i have enough
You can have good vacuum and a bad booster. The simple test in post #2 tests the booster, measuring the vacuum only tests the integrity of the diaphragm.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I had the same issue with a car I still have. Opted to not replace my brake hoses, since they looked good. Well I figured they were probably collapsing on me when I pressed the pedal. So I replaced them, it took care of my issue.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone.

Took rear left caliper apart and found inside piston rubbing and getting stuck. Found wear on one end of contact surface"half moon" roughly around .024mm. Machined down to a tolerance of .001mm for now...until new pistons arrive. Braking better now but can't wait for new pistons.

·
Registered
705 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts