Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
Mine aren't as fancy as this .. They have a through pin in calibrated holes. there is NO chance the pin wil shear as opposed to teeth slipping. Yet I still hate 'em.

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
whenever i put the car up on stands (very often I might add!) I give it a real good shake to make sure everything is OK. And I doubt whether its just HF stands that have this defect -- but def not the 'pin in hole' types! I dont like those because they take two hands -- whereas the pawl type only need one hand---

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
You decide in advance how high the pin (floor stand) goes .. Then you jack the car to that level. with the pin set.. Am I missing something? Lets see.. you pull up the stand to align the holes for the pins with the left hand and insert the pin with the right.....dah... they are ambidextrous. I'm not making fun ..it is just very simple and straight forward... The issues with jack stands are not they will collapse... the car will physically defiy gravity and walk off them when you least expect it. 75 going on 76.... just give it this thought.. so you have a car you THINK is resting on 4 corners and one of the 4 is not supporting a tea bag.... you figure out what good and what bad can happen. I'm out

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Yeah I guess I’d figure it out if I had that kind. Not a big deal. I’m used to setting the height when I’m under the car — but would get used to the other kind as well

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
Yeah I guess I’d figure it out if I had that kind. Not a big deal. I’m used to setting the height when I’m under the car — but would get used to the other kind as well

I never went to jack stand school nor etiquette school either in cased you missed my 5000 posts.. If I need to jack up a front or back transverse I use the jack on the dif and center beam in front with wood... I then set the stand just high enough to get under and then a lower the jack to rest the load on the stand... If for some odd reason I had two stands in tandem and one was not loaded I would readjust the height of one stand with oak or something to like an adjustment to make sure the load was there. Don't sue me if a car falls on you. Nolo contendere.. I think this started over a "warped" chassis question that probably is normal .. Ya just gotta adjust to the physics and use you common sense..I don't care if the equal length jacks don't carry the load . Adjust the ones that don't so they DO carry a load.. The ER isn't going to ask if the jack stands were at the same height... U. .

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
The way I think of it.. as an USAF pilot... In a vertical dive heading to the ground, it's usually the last 1 foot of the dive that will kill you...Same with stands .. If you are counting on a stand that has a 1/2" gap between it and the presumptive load... you know nothing good can happen.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,537 Posts
Oof, that's a hell of a video...I was wondering exactly what the problem was! Those teeth are seriously ugly. I suspect this is the type of QC issue you should look out for in any of the cheaper stands coming out of China (which these days appears to be about 90% of what's for sale out there).

I had a set of aluminum ratcheting jack stands from HF that locked securely and served me well for many years, but I eventually replaced them with a set of Esco stands. They were 3X the price but seem very well made, and I highly recommend them.

My HF aluminum racing jack is going on 18 years without problem (well, besides having to replace one o-ring). Probably one of the best purchases I've made in tools over the years. But as with any hydraulic jack I never use that in any way where I could be injured if it were to fail.

·
Premium Member
1,189 Posts
@bellagt - thanks for the post. 2 of my 4 are the bad ones. Luckily I've not used them much as I rarely have car on all 4 and I actually dislike the rounded top on the bad ones. So guess that worked out well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts