Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Veloce
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you know, I will be removing and tearing down the engine I just installed. . Boot camp mistake. During the initial build I did not like the hoky "adapter" idea I had found on the forum. It actually came loose a couple of times leaving me to muscle it back on but was never really very stable. Now that I have a chance for a repeat production i wanted a much better adapter. This is what i came up with. It allows you to keep the original mounting plate and just slide the adapter into the existing plate. Please, no giggles about my wonderful welding job....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
As many of you know, I will be removing and tearing down the engine I just installed. . Boot camp mistake. During the initial build I did not like the hoky "adapter" idea I had found on the forum. It actually came loose a couple of times leaving me to muscle it back on but was never really very stable. Now that I have a chance for a repeat production i wanted a much better adapter. This is what i came up with. It allows you to keep the original mounting plate and just slide the adapter into the existing plate. Please, no giggles about my wonderful welding job....
Looks good. There are a few ways to skin this cat. I made this adapter from some 4x4 steel square tube.

·
Registered
86 Veloce
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
That certainly looks beefy! Are those 3 holes in the original mounting plate to access motor mount nuts?
No. That was a fail!

After drilling the holes, I realized that the motor was too close to the stand post to rotate. I can put the nuts on the engine mount studs through the ends of the tube.

·
Registered
86 Veloce
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gotcha. I realized from the first setup I had that it had to stand out a couple of inches. Had almost forgotten that when I started on this one.

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
I also chose to fabricate one that would bolt to the side of the block at the motor mount location. I used a scrap piece of rectangualr steel tube that I found at work. I had to cut a few inches off the bottom so that it would clear the sump flange.

·
Registered
86 Veloce
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's nice the see the ingenuity of necessity...... I am interested to see what others come up with! Nice job everyone!

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
I was fortunate enough to be able to borrow this from a local Alfisti when I did my rebuild.

IMG_2123.JPG

IMG_2124.JPG

Good luck,

Vin

·
Registered
86 Veloce
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like the square tubing gets the popular vote! 👍

1 - 9 of 9 Posts