Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my new Weber jet gauge today and I tested a 190 air corrector with the 1.90 mm gauge. It was spot on. I then measured the gauge with a HF digital caliper and it read 1.85 mm, so I tested with another HF digital caliper and it read 1.86 mm. I then measured it with a Starrett micrometer and it was .075" which is 1.90 mm. I then measured the gauge with an old HF analog caliper and it agreed with the Starrett micrometer. So the bottom line is don't trust HF digital calipers for critical measurements.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Agree. If you're going to have micrometers and calipers for critical measurements, you should have some standards to check them by occasionally.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Starrett makes good stuff; Horrible Freight, maybe not so good. ATS Inc. has a calibration lab but it may cost more to calibrate the equipment than the HB stuff cost when new. Best to use the HB when accuracy is not so important and you don't need repeat ability.
Mark

·
Premium Member
2,784 Posts
Thanks for the information.

·
Richard Jemison
7,376 Posts
HF Tools

So the bottom line is don't trust HF digital calipers for critical measurements.
For what they cost they are reasonably accurate, but should not be used in measuring size against sizes measured by different instruments.

I use one HF dial caliper to measure lash shims . (notched one of the legs to clear the cup edge. Then consistancy is assured.

Don`t even think the inner measuring legs will match the outer measuring legs on ANY caliper!

·
Premium Member
15,852 Posts
I was lucky enough to get my father's older Japanese calipers and micrometers. Really very well built compared to the HF stuff I've bought. Not sure I could afford them now, so I take good care of them. The Starrett pieces that I also got match them quite well.

Then, I also have my 60's vintage Sears Craftsman tools. Having recently bought a couple of new matching wrenches from Sears, the workmanship is not there, but at least still guaranteed for life.

Still, for work on these cars, HF is mostly adequate, IMO, although I rather like using my US made tools..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts