Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where these 2 wires (solid red and solid white) connect?

They are hanging beneath the dash directly in front and center of the driver side (just below and behind the steering column area).

Attachments

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
The ittle~bittle terminal connectors look like those that would go on the chime(s) mounted on the steering column, but I don't readily recall the color of those wires.

EDIT:
In an 85 the seatbelt warning chime wires are red and black while the key warning chime is red w/black trace and black.
If your white traces to ground, then I'd hazard it is indeed the seatbelt chime wiring.
(or check your papajam wiring diagram for confirmation)

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
The brakelight switch uses red and white wires. Connectors might be too small though.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Papajam,
Do you have a wiring diagram that would help me trace it?
If so, could you please PM it to me? It's a late '86 Spider Veloce.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i was just about to ask the same question

I gutted the interior of my 79 two nights ago, and found exactly the same thing under the dash. Two looses wires. One red. One white.

Is it possible one is to the "door ajar" buzzer? and one to the "fasten the seat belt" buzzer?

BTW: my parking brake light doesn't work either, so thanks for the lead.

Now, if i could solve those, i can progress to the left flasher not working, though fuses and bulbs are good, the fuel gauge not working, the temp gauge bouncing, the high beams working from both lamps vs sometimes from both lamps, too many other electrical gremlins. Why am i restoring the ugliest generation of spiders ever built again????:D

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Do NOT use them to hang yourself. Salvation is coming, the end is not near.

;)

R

ps - sorry for the smarty pants streak. Must be the moon's phase....

·
16,232 Posts
The buzzers are a good thought so I looked at the diagrams to find the door ajar buzzer has red/black and black wires while the seatbelt buzzer has, are you ready, red and white.

I'd be happy to send you the wiring diagrams, Jay. Could you please send me your email address?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Papajam,
I sent you my email address by PM. Thanks, I hear your diagrams are great!!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The buzzers are a good thought so I looked at the diagrams to find the door ajar buzzer has red/black and black wires while the seatbelt buzzer has, are you ready, red and white.

I'd be happy to send you the wiring diagrams, Jay. Could you please send me your email address?
Papajam,
Could you please send the diagram. My email is sent to your PM.

·
Registered
473 Posts
De interlock

Papajam....could you comment on the wisdom/ feasibility of removing or disabling the seatbelt interlock system....my 74 GTV has wires hanging below the dash....buzzers have already been disconnected. Probably alot of the various switches are no good anymore. I would prefer to have the basics without the goobernment mandated gobelty ****. I am trying to sort out where somebody previously spliced some wires into the headlight wiring...and installed some resistor which has gotten hot and started to melt the tape wrapped around it. Any directions as to just remove the interlock device?

·
16,232 Posts
When the Feds legalized the disabling of the interlock system in early 1975, Alfa TSB #61-02 instructs to cut wire #13 at the interlock device (under the right side dash) and electrically connect it to wire #10. This would allow starter engagement without the seatbelts being fastened while still retaining all bells, whistles and lights if the belts remained unbuckled.

If one had the notion, the ignition switch starter output (terminal #50) could be wired directly to the starter relay (terminal #85) and the entire interlock system, wires, switches and all, could be removed.

Sounds like a wiring diagram may be in order. Please PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Thanks Papajam...ive already got your diagram, no need to send it. If I may ask about your option #2..... which is very similar to option 1. If I unplug the interlock device box on the passengers side, could I bridge #10 and #13 terminals and leave the interlock box disconnected?

Another possibly related question....a previous owner did the following to the wires coming from the headlight switch in the steering column.....they put a jumper connecting the grey and white wires up close to the switch.....and furthur down the column they bridged the yellow wire to the green wire and put either a diode or resistor between the green and yellow wires as in the attached photo. Any idea what is up with that? Looks like a fire hazard? And I hate those blue crimp connectors.

Attachments

·
16,232 Posts
Yes, disconnecting the interlock device while jumping wires 10 & 13 will allow starter engagement while disabling the lights and buzzers.
BUT, without lights and buzzers, how is one to know that their seatbelt isn't fastened? I mean, that's why the lights and buzzers are there in the first place right? :rolleyes:

Don't know what to make of the gray to white jumper since there is no white wire on the diagram.
The jumper between yellow and gray with diode tells me that one circuit is being used to feed the other. Possibly the result of bad contacts in the headlight switch.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Wait- I had that wrong, it is the grey and yellow wires that are bridged with a blue crimp connector near the headlight switch....and furthur down this same yellow wire, there is this diode bridging over to a green wire. (no green wire on the diagram but I think its the same as the red wire running between #3 fuse and the headlight switch) Im not really trusting the blue crimp connectors or the resistor/ diode which has gotten hot and burned the tape that was covering it. I guess this may be a good time to install a headlight relay? I know ive seen info on that somewhere.

·
16,232 Posts
I'd say that some of the contacts in the headlight switch are burned out.

Without further study, and knowing in which direction the diode is facing, I'd hazard a guess that the parking light circuit (yellow wire) may be feeding the low beam circuit. The diode may be present to prevent backfeed from the high beam circuit (green wire) to the low beams (gray wire).

Which version diagram do you have? The current one is R3 dated Aug 2008 (lower right hand corner) and shows the green wire from the headlight switch to fuse #8.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I tip my hat to papajam

Thanks to your wiring diagram artistry, i am quickly closing in on those nasty electrical gremlins. Thanks to Kinko's plotters, i am able to do it without wearing my specs:)

Yup. that's my Arizona State University maroon and gold Alfa Spider restoration cave

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts