Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
I just finished building this small scale 750 Monza at school and I thought some of you on this forum might like to see it. Previous students had built the wood buck which gave me a great opportunity to learn about panel making and body construction. I really love post war, handmade Italian sports cars so this was a great way to learn about the techniques that the old carrozzeria's would have used back in the day. The result is FAR from perfect but I learned a lot, and have a much greater appreciation for the craftsmanship of the old masters. I also really enjoy how rough and unplanished a lot of those old cars were so I decided not to pain this one and to let the evidence of my welds and hammer marks show. I also added race numbers that I artificially aged to go with the rough, patina'd look.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Thank you!

it was built at McPherson College as part of their Automotive Restoration program. They're the only school in America that offers a 4-year degree in automotive restoration.

https://www.mcpherson.edu/autorestoration/
That is Stunning here is the link (which I imagine you studied and for the benefit of the post)...to the history of the 750's , as you click on each photo it gives you a reasonably accurate history.. 0498M 55 was run by Luigi Chinetti NART who I was with for 40+ years.

750 Monza - Register

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That is Stunning here is the link (which I imagine you studied and for the benefit of the post)...to the history of the 750's , as you click on each photo it gives you a reasonably accurate history.. 0498M 55 was run by Luigi Chinetti NART who I was with for 40+ years.

750 Monza - Register
I became very familiar with that site while researching Mark Donohue race results in the 512 M for a history paper. that is so cool that you worked for NART for 40 years! I bet you have some amazing stories from that experience.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow! Just wow! IIRC they offer a summer program that I was interested in attending...
thats the place!

https://www.mcpherson.edu/autorestoration/institute/

they have classes in sheet metal, upholstery, paint, engines and more. I recommend it to anyone who wants to expand their knowledge in a certain area of automotive restoration. most of the people who take classes come back year after year. I took one of the classes and it was enough to convince me to quite my job and become a full time student :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts