Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed my handbrake was not staying engaged and when I pulled back the book, I saw that the carrier bracket that connects to the ratchet broke off at the base (see picture).

Short of:

1. Finding a used carrier (have never seen one on eBay, etc.)
2. Welding back the carrier bracket to the base

has anyone come up with alternative solutions to this? The metal is thin and don't want to deal with this again.....

Thanks, JP

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Eric.

I thought of APE first, before posting here. Issue for me is that I have called the gentlemen half a dozen times in the past year, for a variety of items, and I cannot seem to ever get a return call.

Was expecting same result here so did not go down that path. May be worth another shot, though.

Thanks, JP

·
Registered
379 Posts
I noticed my handbrake was not staying engaged and when I pulled back the book, I saw that the carrier bracket that connects to the ratchet broke off at the base (see picture).

Short of:

1. Finding a used carrier (have never seen one on eBay, etc.)
2. Welding back the carrier bracket to the base

has anyone come up with alternative solutions to this? The metal is thin and don't want to deal with this again.....

Thanks, JP
I guess this is not the part you are looking at...
Alfa Romeo, Fiat and Lancia Handbrake Cables

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No sir, it is not. Phil, I appreciate you looking.

Seems from other threads that the ratchet (what you selected from the IAP catalog) is prone to have the teeth wear and fail.

In my picture, the black trapezoidal metal piece attached to the ratchet pivot bolt is supposed to be attached to the handbrake frame. It looks like it broke off the base much in the same way you wiggle a paper clip back and forth until it breaks....think the "engineering" term is metal fatigue.

It would appear I could TIG weld that back together. Only issues are I a) have to buy a welder and b) learn how to weld. Probably a good skill to learn so this may be the reason to do so.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
I imaginr\e that if you took it to a local metal shop/welder they would fix it up in 20 minutes for $20 cash.....
My local guys love quick little under the table jobs.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I found the assembly on the parts page here and bought it as mine broke in the same place.
When I had the car in the shop this year I had them change it out as the pin on the bottom was hard to reach on my back under the car.
The welding idea is a good way.
Good luck
Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts